Old 19-08-2011, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clear Growing Medium Edible Jelly?

In article ,
Dave East wrote:

Would like to try and create a clear jelly like growing medium, so we can
watch the plant roots grow outwards.

There are such products available commercially, for propagation,
but they are probably very expensive.

My first thoughts are an edible type jelly dessert from the supermarket with
plant food added to it.

Grrk. I wouldn't. The synthetic fruit squashes that are so cheap
and popular make fairly effective sterilising agents, and the cheap
jelly materials use the same dyes and flavourings.

Get some agar and make it yourself, but remember that oxygen will
permeate though it very slowly, so only some plants will be able
to grow in it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-08-2011, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Would like to try and create a clear jelly like growing medium, so we can
watch the plant roots grow outwards.

My first thoughts are an edible type jelly dessert from the supermarket with
plant food added to it.

Grateful for any advice on this project please.

Old 19-08-2011, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/08/2011 13:36, Dave East wrote:
Would like to try and create a clear jelly like growing medium, so we can
watch the plant roots grow outwards.

My first thoughts are an edible type jelly dessert from the supermarket with
plant food added to it.

Grateful for any advice on this project please.

Alan Tich has allegedly done this with wallpaper paste, although it
usually contains anti fungal stuff IIRC. The gel would probably be
clearer using deionised or rain water.
If the gel itself has to be edible, some kind of vegetable gum
(guar,locust bean, xanthan). Most only need 1-2% in water to create a
stiff gel, but dispersing them in water isn't easy
Old 19-08-2011, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 14:50:37 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

On 19/08/2011 13:36, Dave East wrote:
Would like to try and create a clear jelly like growing medium, so we can
watch the plant roots grow outwards.

My first thoughts are an edible type jelly dessert from the supermarket with
plant food added to it.

Grateful for any advice on this project please.

Alan Tich has allegedly done this with wallpaper paste, although it
usually contains anti fungal stuff IIRC. The gel would probably be
clearer using deionised or rain water.
If the gel itself has to be edible, some kind of vegetable gum
(guar,locust bean, xanthan). Most only need 1-2% in water to create a
stiff gel, but dispersing them in water isn't easy

I used to use a gel made from wallpaper glue (non fungicide type) to
fluid-sow seeds like parsnips. I think it was GQT who used to
recommend it. Can you still buy allpaper paste powder without
fungicide? worth a try.

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-08-2011, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

If not, Pound Shop hair gel might be worth a try. IIRC that's a
synthetic product, but the gel may not be compatible with the plant foods

Old 20-08-2011, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all. I didn't mean to say that the gel had to be edible, just
that edible jelly from the supermarket what the first kind of jelly i
thought of.

I suppose it doesnt have to be a jelly as long as its thick enough to
support it, but even then i suppose of good support the stems and have it
almost in a liquid. The key thing is to see the roots grow. Thanks for any
further thoughts.

Old 20-08-2011, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Glycerin and gelatin spring to mind. Both cheap and freely available.
ISTR both are crystal clear, whereas I've a feeling wallpaper paste may
be cloudy
Old 20-08-2011, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

* wrote:

[...]

As long as your seeds arent valuable, why not try one or 2 of each
type, hopefully one at least will work.

NT