Old 23-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

As I said, I love the smell ! Its interesting how we all differ ? Theres one plant that I can't stand and that is 'the so called delightfully scented' Christmas Box, I think it smells of cats and not very pleasant at all ! I'm sure there will be people that love it ! I always remember when I worked on a huge container plant nursery in Germany in the early 70's and we sent thousands of plants down to Munich for the '72 Olympic games. The railway station where we packed these plants into rail carriages, was right next to a 'Maxwell House' coffee factory and the smell was heavenly when we arrived early in the morning but by lunchtime, we were totally fed up with the smell, it seemed to have changed ?? To me, just like Jasminum polyanthemum, when you first smell it, it's wonderful but try to grow one in the conservtory and you soon find that the 'scent' changes, eventually becoming a little nauseous. Just my opinion !
Lannerman.
Old 23-08-2011, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant Identification

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone identify this plant? It has clusters of pink flowers from
single stems

www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg

It's been there some time, but is the first time it has flowered. I'm
sure I never planted it.

Dave

Hydrangea. we've got one almost the same
Some clever clogs will now come up with the Latin name for me ;-)

Mike

bardus plumbeus lactuca

Old 24-08-2011, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2011-08-23 21:14:21 +0100, lannerman
said:

No Name;933802 Wrote:
Sacha wrote:---
Looks to me like a Phlox, this is a perennial plant and comes into
flower at this point in the season. They are lovely and come in a huge
range of colours! So don't dig it up!!!-

Yes but they smell awful. Well i think so. i can tell if there's some
in a garden even if i can't see them just by the smell!
Some people seem to like it.-

How funny - I love their scent. *To me, it's lightly peppery. *Do you
enjoy Salvia turkestanica, Janet??!! * d&r! *;-)-

I found one in the garden (which I don't remember planting!) and I have
join the "smells awful" corner (must use more deoderant).

[...]

I love the scent of Sarcococca but hate that of privet flowers and of
Choisya. *But I find that a lot of flowers' scents become overpowering
and sickly as they start to go over. *As for coffee, I almost always
find that the taste of coffee is never as good as the smell of coffee
beans!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

I always wonder how much the privet flowers add to the flavour of the
honey.
Old 24-08-2011, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ping Bob; re phlox

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 23:07:59 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" uttered:

"Dave" wrote

Can anyone identify this plant? It has clusters of pink flowers from
single stems

www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg

It's been there some time, but is the first time it has flowered. I'm
sure I never planted it.

Looks like Phlox paniculata.

That's the one, thanks.

You are lucky, I've tried twice to get that to grow for me and it's failed
both times.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Bob, I shall be digging up a clump of pink phlox from my allotment
this autumn. Would you like a piece? I'm giving up my allotment and
don't have room for all of it in my garden.
It's named either Sandfingham or Balmoroa!

Pam in Bristol

Old 24-08-2011, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 12:12:00 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Plants_Galore
writes
Hi Dave,

Looks to me like a Phlox, this is a perennial plant and comes into
flower at this point in the season. They are lovely and come in a huge
range of colours! So don't dig it up!!!

Yes but they smell awful. Well i think so. i can tell if there's some in
a garden even if i can't see them just by the smell!
Some people seem to like it.

I love the smell though it can be a bit pervasive. I hate the smell
of choisya but some love it!

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-08-2011, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 15:08:06 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 23:07:59 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Dave" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" uttered:

"Dave" wrote

Can anyone identify this plant? It has clusters of pink flowers from
single stems

www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg

It's been there some time, but is the first time it has flowered. I'm
sure I never planted it.

Looks like Phlox paniculata.

That's the one, thanks.

You are lucky, I've tried twice to get that to grow for me and it's failed
both times.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Bob, I shall be digging up a clump of pink phlox from my allotment
this autumn. Would you like a piece? I'm giving up my allotment and
don't have room for all of it in my garden.
It's named either Sandfingham or Balmoroa!

Pam in Bristol

For last word of message read "Balmoroal". sorry!

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-08-2011, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Dave" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" uttered:

"Dave" wrote

Can anyone identify this plant? It has clusters of pink flowers from
single stems

www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg

It's been there some time, but is the first time it has flowered. I'm
sure I never planted it.

Looks like Phlox paniculata.

That's the one, thanks.

You are lucky, I've tried twice to get that to grow for me and it's failed
both times.

Bob, I shall be digging up a clump of pink phlox from my allotment
this autumn. Would you like a piece? I'm giving up my allotment and
don't have room for all of it in my garden.
It's named either Sandfingham or Balmoroa!

I'd love some, thanks.
My correct address is the plural of my surname snaily thing btinternet spot
com.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 25-08-2011, 01:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
It only seems to smell if you brush against it

No, it smells even if you don't - to some of us Sacha! I hate the smell
it smells sort of 'off' even if it's at the back of a border!
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 25-08-2011, 01:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Hill writes
I love the scent of Sarcococca but hate that of privet flowers and of
Choisya. *But I find that a lot of flowers' scents become overpowering
and sickly as they start to go over. *As for coffee, I almost always
find that the taste of coffee is never as good as the smell of coffee
beans!

Bit like bacon sandwiches
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 25-08-2011, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 01:51:14 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article
,
Dave Hill writes
I love the scent of Sarcococca but hate that of privet flowers and of
Choisya. *But I find that a lot of flowers' scents become overpowering
and sickly as they start to go over. *As for coffee, I almost always
find that the taste of coffee is never as good as the smell of coffee
beans!

Bit like bacon sandwiches

You know I've never thought of comparing the taste of bacon sandwiches
with the smell of coffee beans )

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 25-08-2011, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
Oh that's interesting. I really hadn't noticed a nasty smell from it
unless it was brushed against and I have quite a keen sense of smell,
or so I thought! And nobody has commented on the one in the border,
either. You must have been a bloodhound in another existence. ;-))

Yet i love a jasmine smell, both the officinale and the stephanses but
can't really smell humile or the variegated one Felicity or something
and i know two people who claim it makes them feel sick!
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 25-08-2011, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
The smell of those being prepared in the tea room is absolutely
guaranteed to lead to a rash of similar orders. Bacon must be one of
the most "catching" scents there is but (perhaps unfortunately) they
rarely disappoint me!!
--

Ah but you see i only like really well cooked bacon (sacrificed some
say) very crispy. Give me a bacon roll with the fat not crisped

Old 25-08-2011, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Tweedy wrote:
Oh that's interesting. I really hadn't noticed a nasty smell from it
unless it was brushed against and I have quite a keen sense of smell,
or so I thought! And nobody has commented on the one in the border,
either. You must have been a bloodhound in another existence. ;-))

Yet i love a jasmine smell, both the officinale and the stephanses but
can't really smell humile or the variegated one Felicity or something
and i know two people who claim it makes them feel sick!

I have a winter flowering jasmine, and I haev to admit - I like the flowers,
but when it comes to the smell I do wonder what all the fuss is about.