Old 21-08-2011, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant Identification

Can anyone identify this plant? It has clusters of pink flowers from
single stems

www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg

It's been there some time, but is the first time it has flowered. I'm
sure I never planted it.

Dave
Old 21-08-2011, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave" wrote in message
Can anyone identify this plant? It has clusters of pink flowers from
single stems

www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg

It's been there some time, but is the first time it has flowered. I'm
sure I never planted it.

Dave

Hydrangea. we've got one almost the same
Some clever clogs will now come up with the Latin name for you ;-)

Mike

Old 21-08-2011, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave" wrote

Can anyone identify this plant? It has clusters of pink flowers from
single stems

www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg

It's been there some time, but is the first time it has flowered. I'm
sure I never planted it.

Looks like Phlox paniculata.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 21-08-2011, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 16:05:28 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
uttered:

"Dave" wrote

Can anyone identify this plant? It has clusters of pink flowers from
single stems

www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg

It's been there some time, but is the first time it has flowered. I'm
sure I never planted it.

Looks like Phlox paniculata.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

That's the one, thanks.

Dave
Old 21-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Can anyone identify this plant? It has clusters of pink flowers from
single stems

www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg

It's been there some time, but is the first time it has flowered. I'm
sure I never planted it.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Looks to me like a Phlox, this is a perennial plant and comes into flower at this point in the season. They are lovely and come in a huge range of colours! So don't dig it up!!!
__________________
You don't have to be Shrek to have green fingers!
For great advice and quality plants visit http://plantsgaloreonline.co.uk or call us on: 01279 792 321

Old 21-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Can anyone identify this plant? It has clusters of pink flowers from
single stems

www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg

It's been there some time, but is the first time it has flowered. I'm
sure I never planted it.

Dave
Hi dave, definantly a Phlox panniculata, bend over and smell it ?? The scent always reminds me of my old boarding school - just like the polish used on the wooden floors !! Smell is one of the strongest memory triggers I think ??
Lannerman.
Old 21-08-2011, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" uttered:

"Dave" wrote

Can anyone identify this plant? It has clusters of pink flowers from
single stems

www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg

It's been there some time, but is the first time it has flowered. I'm
sure I never planted it.

Looks like Phlox paniculata.

That's the one, thanks.

You are lucky, I've tried twice to get that to grow for me and it's failed
both times.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 22-08-2011, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Aug 21, 11:07*pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Dave" *wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" uttered:

"Dave" *wrote

Can anyone identify this plant? It has clusters of pink flowers from
single stems

www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg

It's been there some time, but is the first time it has flowered. I'm
sure I never planted it.

Looks like Phlox paniculata.

That's the one, thanks.

You are lucky, I've tried twice to get that to grow for me and it's failed
both times.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK- Hide quoted text -

No idea as the link won't open for me.
Old 22-08-2011, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 02:00:06 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
uttered:

Can anyone identify this plant? It has clusters of pink flowers from
single stems

www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg

It's been there some time, but is the first time it has flowered. I'm
sure I never planted it.

Looks like Phlox paniculata.

That's the one, thanks.

You are lucky, I've tried twice to get that to grow for me and it's failed
both times.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK- Hide quoted text -

No idea as the link won't open for me.

Just checked, it still works. I haven't removed it yet.

Dave

Old 22-08-2011, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Aug 22, 1:49*pm, (Dave) wrote:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 02:00:06 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
uttered:

Can anyone identify this plant? It has clusters of pink flowers from
single stems

*www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg

It's been there some time, but is the first time it has flowered. I'm
sure I never planted it.

Looks like Phlox paniculata.

That's the one, thanks.

You are lucky, I've tried twice to get that to grow for me and it's failed
both times.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK- Hide quoted text -

No idea as the link won't open for me.

Just checked, it still works. I haven't removed it yet.

Dave- Hide quoted text -

404. That’s an error.
The requested URL /www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg was not found
on this server. That’s all we know.
That's what I get.

Old 22-08-2011, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:01:40 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
uttered:

On Aug 22, 1:49*pm, (Dave) wrote:
[...]

That's odd.
I've just cut and pasted the link below into IE, Firefox and Netscape
and it works in all browsers.

http://www.dalecu.co.uk/images/DSCN1732.jpg

No idea why its not working for you.

Dave

Old 22-08-2011, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Aug 22, 1:49 pm, (Dave) wrote:
[...]

Strange, the new link works fine, but tried the old one and stillthe
same message.
No question about it being a Phlox panniculata.
David
Old 23-08-2011, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Plants_Galore
writes
Hi Dave,

Looks to me like a Phlox, this is a perennial plant and comes into
flower at this point in the season. They are lovely and come in a huge
range of colours! So don't dig it up!!!

Yes but they smell awful. Well i think so. i can tell if there's some in
a garden even if i can't see them just by the smell!
Some people seem to like it.
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 23-08-2011, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 12:12:00 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Plants_Galore
writes
Hi Dave,

Looks to me like a Phlox, this is a perennial plant and comes into
flower at this point in the season. They are lovely and come in a huge
range of colours! So don't dig it up!!!

Yes but they smell awful. Well i think so. i can tell if there's some in
a garden even if i can't see them just by the smell!
Some people seem to like it.

I planted a single white phlox (labelled paniculata) when I first
moved here. Within 5 years it had spread everywhere, including to next
door's garden, and I've been digging it out ever since - can't get rid
of it and it smells really bad. OTOH, I have lots of coloured phlox
growing nicely with only the occasional division and cut back of
spreading roots needed. These coloured ones have an attractive scent,
certainly not overpowering at all.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 23-08-2011, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Looks to me like a Phlox, this is a perennial plant and comes into
flower at this point in the season. They are lovely and come in a huge
range of colours! So don't dig it up!!!

Yes but they smell awful. Well i think so. i can tell if there's some
in a garden even if i can't see them just by the smell!
Some people seem to like it.

How funny - I love their scent. To me, it's lightly peppery. Do you
enjoy Salvia turkestanica, Janet??!! d&r! ;-)

I found one in the garden (which I don't remember planting!) and I have to
join the "smells awful" corner (must use more deoderant).