Old 22-08-2011, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ID - floating/emergent aquatic

Perhaps a garden escape/throwout, as it's not readily recognisable as a
native species.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot68a.jpg

Original photo (large)

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6191.jpg
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 23-08-2011, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/08/2011 23:23, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
Perhaps a garden escape/throwout, as it's not readily recognisable as a
native species.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot68a.jpg

Original photo (large)

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6191.jpg

Interesting. Some leaves appear to be orbicular, others obovate. I
wonder if it is something non-aquatic, which has just been thrown in the
pond and will float until it dies and sinks.

--

Jeff
Old 23-08-2011, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote

Perhaps a garden escape/throwout, as it's not readily recognisable as a
native species.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot68a.jpg

Original photo (large)

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6191.jpg

Not something I recognise as a garden pond plant. Could it be, like some
tropical plants, that it has different and quite different immersed and
emerged states.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 23-08-2011, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
On 22/08/2011 23:23, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
Perhaps a garden escape/throwout, as it's not readily recognisable as a
native species.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot68a.jpg

Original photo (large)

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6191.jpg

Interesting. Some leaves appear to be orbicular, others obovate. I
wonder if it is something non-aquatic, which has just been thrown in
the pond and will float until it dies and sinks.

The stems appear to be too tangled in with the waterweed for it to have
been thrown in recently, and the foliage too fresh for it to have been
thrown in any significant time ago.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 23-08-2011, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote

Perhaps a garden escape/throwout, as it's not readily recognisable as
a native species.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot68a.jpg

Original photo (large)

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6191.jpg

Not something I recognise as a garden pond plant. Could it be, like
some tropical plants, that it has different and quite different
immersed and emerged states.

You're sort of right. I've solved the identification myself, by looking
up a list of invasive aquatic plants. It's Ludwigia grandiflora
(water-primrose), which is heterophyllous, that latter leaves being much
narrower.

[The BSBI have 4 taxa of Ludwigia present in Britain, but the alternate
leaves identify this plant as Ludwigia grandiflora.]

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 23-08-2011, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 22, 11:23*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
Perhaps a garden escape/throwout, as it's not readily recognisable as a
native species.

* * *http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot68a.jpg

Original photo (large)

* * *http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6191.jpg
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Canadian pondweed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Pond_Weed

It goes scraggy when in low light. ie Deep/muddy/green water
Old 24-08-2011, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
harry writes
wrote:
Perhaps a garden escape/throwout, as it's not readily recognisable as a
native species.

* * *http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot68a.jpg

Original photo (large)

* * *http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6191.jpg
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Canadian pondweed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Pond_Weed

It goes scraggy when in low light. ie Deep/muddy/green water

You're looking at the wrong plant. I was asking about the
floating/emergent dicot, not the submerged monocot.

I believe that the main waterweed in that pond is Lagarosiphon major
(curly water weed), but I was wondering whether there was a patch of
Elodea nuttallii (Nuttall's waterweed) showing in this photograph, or
whether what can be seen is scraggy Lagarosiphon.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley