Old 24-08-2011, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mildew on Courgettes?

I have three outdoor courgettes plants doing well to date. However the
last couple of days a lot of the older leaves are covered in a white
substance. Is this mildew, if so will it harm the plants and what steps
should I take to eliminate it?
Old 24-08-2011, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/08/2011 09:26, Moonraker wrote:
I have three outdoor courgettes plants doing well to date. However the
last couple of days a lot of the older leaves are covered in a white
substance. Is this mildew, if so will it harm the plants and what steps
should I take to eliminate it?

Probably. Not really worth the effort of doing anything provided the
plant is still growing vigorously (which they do at this time of year).

Mine always get a bit on older leaves but it doesn't affect cropping.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 24-08-2011, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Aug 24, 9:35*am, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 24/08/2011 09:26, Moonraker wrote:

I have three outdoor courgettes plants doing well to date. However the
last couple of days a lot of the older leaves are covered in a white
substance. Is this mildew, if so will it harm the plants and what steps
should I take to eliminate it?

Probably. Not really worth the effort of doing anything provided the
plant is still growing vigorously (which they do at this time of year).

Mine always get a bit on older leaves but it doesn't affect cropping.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Courgettes are highly susceptible to this. Yes it kills them
eventually, but you should have got your fruits by then. I semi-
remember baking soda helping, but could easily be wrong there.

NT
Old 24-08-2011, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 04:32:07 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

On Aug 24, 9:35*am, Martin Brown
wrote:
On 24/08/2011 09:26, Moonraker wrote:

I have three outdoor courgettes plants doing well to date. However the
last couple of days a lot of the older leaves are covered in a white
substance. Is this mildew, if so will it harm the plants and what steps
should I take to eliminate it?

Probably. Not really worth the effort of doing anything provided the
plant is still growing vigorously (which they do at this time of year).

Mine always get a bit on older leaves but it doesn't affect cropping.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Courgettes are highly susceptible to this. Yes it kills them
eventually, but you should have got your fruits by then. I semi-
remember baking soda helping, but could easily be wrong there.

Spray with some water with milk in it.

Pam in Bristol