GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blowing Neighbours smell away (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199491-blowing-neighbours-smell-away.html)

Interloper[_2_] 28-08-2011 09:43 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

Having analysed the various passive smoking arguments, "Keith" made the
following contribution to the discussion:

I believe that you are a ****wit. Is that good enough for you?

Rather like 'TMH', if the best you can come up with is a personal insult,
then you have lost the argument.

When you have an IQ lower than your shoe size, it's usually best to keep
quiet.
--
Interloper

Fuschia[_3_] 28-08-2011 10:14 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 21:07:19 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article , dennis@home
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Peter James wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he
worked in and where smoking was rampant. For further information
see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And
even if it did, there's a very big difference between working all
your life in smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

that's true.. you can choose not to go into smoke filled rooms.

not if your job depends on it.

That's why we have a smoking ban, you can't go into smoke filled rooms
because of your job anymore.

Well that's the firemen out of a job.

No. They wear breathing apparatus. Rather difficult for performers to
do that.

John Williamson 28-08-2011 10:36 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

Fuschia wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 19:41:10 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:
So you think it's perfectly reasonable to inflict your smoking stench on
others?

A straight 'yes' will suffice.

Of course he does.
He doesn't care that it causes other people to cough,make their eyes
sore and their clothes smell.
He doesn't care that it may start an asthmatic attack.
He's happy to ignore these things.
He's a smoker.

AKA a drug addict.

Nicotine has been shown to be more addictive than heroin in a
controlled, peer-reviewed, experiment involving American college students.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

R D S[_2_] 28-08-2011 10:59 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

On 27/08/2011 09:42, Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed
up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed
it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Why don't you try getting a life?

I had some respect for you up to that point.

Steve Walker[_3_] 28-08-2011 11:24 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in the
world will do.

Roy Castle?

Most of the people I know who don't want anyone smoking near them are
not overly concerned about passive smoking, they just can't stand the
odour, the sore eyes, the sore throat and the smelly clothes they end up
with from being around smokers.

As a smoker you won't have the experience, but I frequently recoil from
the smell of tobacco smoke and look round to find someone smoking 20 or
30 feet away! It's a foul odour that travels considerable distances. My
wife is an ex-smoker (she promised her father a month before he was
diagnosed with terminal liver cancer and other than one lapse, she has
stuck to it), she frequently comments that she's amazed how she could
ever have smoked, as she too can't stand the smell.

During the summer when it is hot we naturally like our patio door and
windows open to get a breeze. At night we sleep with our bedroom window
open. Our neighbours have a young child so they go outside to smoke and
we end up suffering their smoke. We either have to put up with it or
close the windows and struggle to sleep 'cos of the heat.

The selfishness of smokers has always amazed me. I have worked with and
been friends with a number and two things stick out. Firstly, in the
days when you could smoke in pubs, the whole group had to sit and suffer
in the smoking area, even if there was only one smoker with us,
otherwise they'd whinge and moan so much that they'd ruin the evening.
Secondly, every time one of the smokers tried to give up, the others
would smoke in front of them and each time they lit up, they'd offer
them one - as if they couldn't stand letting one get away!

However, I do think that the coucils that are trying to ban smokers from
lighting up in the street, parks, etc. are going too far; similarly with
the existing ban on smoking in company vehicles; and also the hospitals
and companies that ban employees from smoking in their own cars in their
car-parks.

SteveW

Steve Walker[_3_] 28-08-2011 11:29 PM

On 27/08/2011 17:37, 'Mike' wrote:
"The Medway wrote in message
On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on
to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in the
world will do.

Margaret Horsborough
25 Colchester Road
Leicester

My next door neighbour when I lived in Leicester in the 60's and 70's

A non smoker, died of Lung Cancer due to secondary/passive smoking
whilst in
an office environment.

Alas she didn't. Nice try, no cigar.

Come off your 'I know my rights' high horse. YOU pollute the air I
breath. I
don't pollute the air you breath.

So you don't drive a car, heat your house, use aerosols or fart then?

Ah, the defence that all smokers resort to in the end. The difference is
that all the above serve useful purposes and the pollution is an
unfortunately necessary byproduct of that function, whereas smoking
simply prevents the addict's withdrawal symptoms as the previous fix
wears off.

SteveW

The Medway Handyman[_3_] 28-08-2011 11:36 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

On 28/08/2011 19:41, Ron Lowe wrote:
On 27/08/2011 20:44, Interloper wrote:
Unable to think up a new insult, "The Medway Handyman" reiterated:

No, you are still a pompous ****.

OK TMH, it's been fun bandying words with an archetypical, arrogant
smoker,
but I can't justify any more of today in a battle of wits against an
unarmed
adversary.

Still being a pompous **** I see. At least you are consistent.

So you think it's perfectly reasonable to inflict your smoking stench on
others?

No. I think its perfectly reasonable to have smoking & non smoking
areas. It's called 'choice'.

A straight 'yes' will suffice.

I think a straight '**** off' would suffice.

Tony Bryer[_2_] 28-08-2011 11:37 PM

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 23:24:40 +0100 Steve Walker wrote :
As a smoker you won't have the experience, but I frequently recoil from
the smell of tobacco smoke and look round to find someone smoking 20 or
30 feet away!

It's extraordinary now to think that there was a time (before I took up
travelling) when people smoked on planes. A good while back I had a
number of British Rail archive films of the 1950s and smoking at your
desk seemed to be the norm.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

The Medway Handyman[_3_] 28-08-2011 11:38 PM

On 28/08/2011 20:45, Fuschia wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 19:41:10 +0100, Ron wrote:

On 27/08/2011 20:44, Interloper wrote:
Unable to think up a new insult, "The Medway Handyman" reiterated:

No, you are still a pompous ****.

OK TMH, it's been fun bandying words with an archetypical, arrogant
smoker,
but I can't justify any more of today in a battle of wits against an
unarmed
adversary.

Still being a pompous **** I see. At least you are consistent.

So you think it's perfectly reasonable to inflict your smoking stench on
others?

A straight 'yes' will suffice.

Of course he does.

Oh no he doesn't.

He doesn't care that it causes other people to cough,make their eyes
sore and their clothes smell.

Nope, wrong again.

He doesn't care that it may start an asthmatic attack.

Like many other things can.

He's happy to ignore these things.

No I'm not.

He's a smoker.

You are a fascist.

The Medway Handyman[_3_] 28-08-2011 11:40 PM

On 28/08/2011 22:36, John Williamson wrote:
Fuschia wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 19:41:10 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:
So you think it's perfectly reasonable to inflict your smoking stench
on others?

A straight 'yes' will suffice.

Of course he does.
He doesn't care that it causes other people to cough,make their eyes
sore and their clothes smell.
He doesn't care that it may start an asthmatic attack.
He's happy to ignore these things.
He's a smoker.

AKA a drug addict.

AKA someone indulging in a perfectly legal activity.

Nicotine has been shown to be more addictive than heroin in a
controlled, peer-reviewed, experiment involving American college students.

Strange but true, many people make the positive choice to be smokers.

The Medway Handyman[_3_] 28-08-2011 11:42 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

On 27/08/2011 23:41, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

If we weren't meant to smoke, why did God invent tobacco?

Oh come now Our Dave. You may as well say that if we weren't meant to
jump off cliffs why did he invent Beachy Head?

'Mike' made the inane comment "If you were meant to smoke, you would
have been born with a chimney out of you head".

I was merely being as ridiculous as he was.

dennis@home 28-08-2011 11:45 PM

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 23:24:40 +0100 Steve Walker wrote :
As a smoker you won't have the experience, but I frequently recoil from
the smell of tobacco smoke and look round to find someone smoking 20 or
30 feet away!

It's extraordinary now to think that there was a time (before I took up
travelling) when people smoked on planes. A good while back I had a
number of British Rail archive films of the 1950s and smoking at your
desk seemed to be the norm.

That was when most people didn't think smoking harmed them.
Now the sensible ones have realised the truth and stopped.
The ones that continue also don't believe smoking harms others.
Not really surprising as there are a lot of fools about.

The Medway Handyman[_3_] 28-08-2011 11:47 PM

On 28/08/2011 23:29, Steve Walker wrote:
On 27/08/2011 17:37, 'Mike' wrote:
"The Medway wrote in message
[...]

Farting serves a useful purpose?

whereas smoking
simply prevents the addict's withdrawal symptoms as the previous fix
wears off.

The ploy anti smokers always resort to in the end.

Perhaps you could cite an incident of a smoker mugging someone to get a
'fix'?

I would remind you that smoking is a perfectly legal activity that makes
an important contribution to Govmint funds.

Steve Walker[_3_] 28-08-2011 11:47 PM

On 28/08/2011 10:20, Peter James wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

In article1k6pbn0.zrjw1i1dikjd4N%pfjames2000@googlem ail.com,
Peter wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he worked in
and where smoking was rampant.
For further information see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And even
if it did, there's a very big difference between working all your
life in
smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

Indeed. But did you read the attached URL's?

I suppose you are a strong believer in the tobacco companies assertion
that there is no proven link between tobacco and lung disease?

There is conclusive evidence to link active smoking with lung cancer.
Passive smoking is however a myth.

I believe that there is link, but I also believe that the increased risk
is probably low enough for me to ignore. I cannot however ignore the
awful smell, the affect on my eyes and my throat or the smell on my
clothes and my hair the next morning.

For two and a half years I was suffering from asthma (still do of
course) and pulmonary sarcoidosis (declared clear just over a year ago),
yet "friends" still insisted on smoking around me.

SteveW

The Medway Handyman[_3_] 28-08-2011 11:51 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

On 28/08/2011 19:35, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 17:37:43 +0100,
wrote:

"The Medway wrote in message
On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to
it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the
world will do.

Margaret Horsborough
25 Colchester Road
Leicester

My next door neighbour when I lived in Leicester in the 60's and 70's

A non smoker, died of Lung Cancer due to secondary/passive smoking whilst
in
an office environment.

Was this the result of an autopsy - or just your guess.
Did it say on the death certificate : Lung Cancer caused by passive
smoking?

- or are you just guessing or suggesting that Lung Cancer is *only* caused
by
inhaling cigarette smoke?

Oh dear :-((

Oh dear, oh dear.

Another smoker trying to justify their addiction to the obnoxious weed.

Another non smoker unable to support his biased opinion.

Why can't they just admit that they are wrong, pack up their vile habit and
stop polluting the air WE breath and the pavements with their dog ends?

Why can't you appreciate that anally retentive, small minded people like
you will believe anything that supports your cause?

Many of your habits might well be vile to me.