GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Blowing Neighbours smell away (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/199491-blowing-neighbours-smell-away.html)

Dave East 27-08-2011 09:42 AM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

cynic 27-08-2011 10:39 AM

On Aug 27, 9:42*am, "Dave East" wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Look on the bright side - they may not live long and your problems
will be solved!

Dave East 27-08-2011 01:50 PM

"cynic" wrote in message
On Aug 27, 9:42 am, "Dave East" wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up
with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Look on the bright side - they may not live long and your problems
will be solved!

Thanks. But they are all young and look really healthy.

Dave Plowman (News) 27-08-2011 02:03 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

In article ,
Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up
with the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it
on the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it
be a waste of time?

Just be grateful it's not a barbecue.

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Janet Tweedy 27-08-2011 02:13 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

In article , Dave East
writes
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Sometimes a thick hedge between them and you could help. Trees and
shrubs are supposed to absorb pollution aren't they? If not, lots of
strong smelling stuff on boundary like rosemary, pennyroayl, mint, even
curry plants! Sacha and i would recommend Salvia turkestanica :)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Bill Grey 27-08-2011 03:19 PM

"Dave East" wrote in message
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up
with the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Must be pretty bad for you to smell the smoke to such a degree!

Bill

The Medway Handyman[_3_] 27-08-2011 03:39 PM

On 27/08/2011 09:42, Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Why don't you try getting a life?

'Mike'[_4_] 27-08-2011 03:44 PM

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 27/08/2011 09:42, Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up
with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it
on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Why don't you try getting a life?

A smoker by any chance?

Mike

Spider[_3_] 27-08-2011 03:54 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

On 27/08/2011 09:42, Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

That sounds like a lot of expense and trouble. Presumably both
households sit out in the garden regularly and, presumably need to sit
close to the shared boundary? What establishes the boundary at the
moment ... a fence .. a hedge .. chainlink?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

[email protected] 27-08-2011 04:10 PM

JoeJoe wrote:
On 27/08/2011 09:42, Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed
up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed
it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Why don't you try getting a life?

Typical smoker's reply.

Well, if we ignore the obvious trolling and prejudice, cigarette
smoke makes a lot of people with breathing problems cough very
badly. I am one. I have never minded pipe or cigar smoke, so
was always very annoyed that the airlines used to allow cigarettes
but not those AND place the smokers near the air inlets rather
than outlets.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jake 27-08-2011 04:13 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 15:19:35 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Dave East" wrote in message
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up
with the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Must be pretty bad for you to smell the smoke to such a degree!

Bill

Or a hyper-sensitivity to cigarette smoke.

Long term, a tall hedge is an option but if you must have a more
immediate solution, try 6 foot high fence panels.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Interloper 27-08-2011 04:18 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Presumably you are a cancerous vulgarious, otherwise you would appreciate
just how abhorrent the putrid stench of second-hand tobacco smoke is to
others.
--
Interloper

ARWadsworth 27-08-2011 04:20 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Thieving *******. That's smoke that was paid for by someone else.

--
Adam

chris 27-08-2011 04:27 PM

On 27 Aug, 09:42, "Dave East" wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

There are three ways of approaching this in order of preference I
suggest
a) speak to them nicely and lie and say that one of you is suffering
from an allergy that MIGHT result in an anaphalactic (sp?) fit (with a
small but significant risk of death) if she/he has one as a result of
exposure to cigarette smoke and that you both suffer from sneezing and
watering eyes when this happens. Could they please be kind enough to
note the wind direction and not smoke in the garden when the wind is
coming towards you and you are in the garden

b) absent a cooperative response simply build a large fence 6' 6" high
adorned on the far side with lots of no-smoking symbols subtly
engraved or spayed in wood preservative so that they are dicernable
but not TOO obvious and grow a dense hedge as well as suggested to
take over above 6'6" in due course

c) lastly, you have a right to peaceful enjoyment of your property and
the intrusion of bonfire smoke cigarette smoke excessive noise
vibrations or ANYTHING that causes a nuisance in law you can get an
injunction to stop them doing. It might be that you can take air
samples and provide the evidence to the EHO!!! That would be a first.

Chris

Janet Tweedy 27-08-2011 04:42 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

In article , Interloper
writes
Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Presumably you are a cancerous vulgarious, otherwise you would appreciate
just how abhorrent the putrid stench of second-hand tobacco smoke is to
others.

Actually there are some areas where ground and location mean that the
smoke and smell lingers far longer than is normal. You sometimes get in
in areas around offices when people are accustomed to smoke . You seem
to get a sudden blast of it as you walk through the area. Maybe the OP's
garden is such an area.

Cook curry or burn lots of toast is my only other advice:)

The Medway Handyman[_3_] 27-08-2011 05:18 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

On 27/08/2011 16:20, ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on
to it and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Thieving *******. That's smoke that was paid for by someone else.

The sponger probably jumps the queue in hospitals as well.

The Medway Handyman[_3_] 27-08-2011 05:20 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

Presumably you are a pompous ****.

Interloper 27-08-2011 05:34 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

Clearly irritated and devoid of anything intelligent to say, "The Medway
Handyman" responded:

Presumably you are a pompous ****.

Well, that's certainly rattled your cage! The truth hits home hard, doesn't
it?
--
Interloper

'Mike'[_4_] 27-08-2011 05:37 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in the
world will do.

Margaret Horsborough
25 Colchester Road
Leicester

My next door neighbour when I lived in Leicester in the 60's and 70's

A non smoker, died of Lung Cancer due to secondary/passive smoking whilst in
an office environment.

I would also like to add that the treatment that I received in hospital
recently when I firs,t had a quadruple heart by pass, followed by a LUNG
decortication, was enhanced because I didn't smoke and NEVER HAD SMOKED

Come off your 'I know my rights' high horse. YOU pollute the air I breath. I
don't pollute the air you breath.

We have the same argument with you very selfish polluters on the cruise
ships. I cruise a lot and have to endure you polluting MY balcony.

If you were meant to smoke, you would have been born with a chimney out of
you head.

Fuschia[_3_] 27-08-2011 06:08 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 09:42:14 +0100, "Dave East"
wrote:

Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Shout "Fire! Fire!" and throw a bucket of water over the fence.

ARWadsworth 27-08-2011 06:23 PM

Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed
up with the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed
it on the garden table whether it would make any difference or would
be it be a waste of time?

I would wait until the wind blows their way and then set fire to a couple of
car tyres.

--
Adam

The Medway Handyman[_3_] 27-08-2011 06:50 PM

On 27/08/2011 17:37, 'Mike' wrote:
"The Medway wrote in message
On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in the
world will do.

Margaret Horsborough
25 Colchester Road
Leicester

My next door neighbour when I lived in Leicester in the 60's and 70's

A non smoker, died of Lung Cancer due to secondary/passive smoking whilst in
an office environment.

Alas she didn't. Nice try, no cigar.

Come off your 'I know my rights' high horse. YOU pollute the air I breath. I
don't pollute the air you breath.

So you don't drive a car, heat your house, use aerosols or fart then?

We have the same argument with you very selfish polluters on the cruise
ships. I cruise a lot and have to endure you polluting MY balcony.

Cruising? Ohh Err Missus.

If you were meant to smoke, you would have been born with a chimney out of
you head.

If we weren't meant to smoke, why did God invent tobacco?

The Medway Handyman[_3_] 27-08-2011 06:50 PM

On 27/08/2011 17:34, Interloper wrote:
Clearly irritated and devoid of anything intelligent to say, "The Medway
Handyman" responded:

Presumably you are a pompous ****.

Well, that's certainly rattled your cage! The truth hits home hard, doesn't
it?

It seems I was 100& correct first time.

David Rance 27-08-2011 07:01 PM

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

Roy Castle, the entertainer.

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

Interloper[_2_] 27-08-2011 07:36 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

In a state of delirium , "The Medway Handyman" leapt upon an unsuspecting
keyboard and mistyped:

It seems I was 100& correct first time.

It seems you are hallucinating on the narcotic properties of the alkaloid
agricultural insecticide you are addicted to.
--
Interloper

Dave Hill 27-08-2011 07:52 PM

wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Shout "Fire! Fire!" and throw a bucket of water over the fence.

I'd have thought that this thread is just a big wind up.
Otherwise think about moving house, as they have every right to smoke
on their own property.
I havn't smoked for almost 50 years so am not a fanatical smoker with
an axe to grind.

Interloper[_2_] 27-08-2011 08:30 PM

"Dave Hill" wrote:

I'd have thought that this thread is just a big wind up.

Well it will be if the OP gets that fan working :-)
--
Interloper

The Medway Handyman[_3_] 27-08-2011 08:33 PM

No, you are still a pompous ****.

Interloper[_2_] 27-08-2011 08:44 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

Unable to think up a new insult, "The Medway Handyman" reiterated:

No, you are still a pompous ****.

OK TMH, it's been fun bandying words with an archetypical, arrogant smoker,
but I can't justify any more of today in a battle of wits against an unarmed
adversary.

Stay healthy (and those around you who have to suffer your noxious
exhalation).

Anon,
--
Interloper

BTW, feel free to have the last word ;-)

Bob Eager[_2_] 27-08-2011 09:01 PM

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 19:01:26 +0100, David Rance wrote:

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to
it and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in the
world will do.

Roy Castle, the entertainer.

Ronnie Scott.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

dennis@home 27-08-2011 09:31 PM

"Interloper" wrote in message
"Dave Hill" wrote:

I'd have thought that this thread is just a big wind up.

Well it will be if the OP gets that fan working :-)

Bit of a waste of time though.
A refrigerant gas leak might work, get the right one and it turns to
phosgene as it gets heated in the fag.
I don't think assisted suicide is wrong so I wouldn't worry about speeding
it up for them.

David Rance 27-08-2011 09:47 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on
to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

Roy Castle, the entertainer.

Nope.

It is well documented that Roy Castle did die of passive smoking, but if
you are simply going to contradict anyone who doesn't agree with you
then I shall not waste my time with you.

Bon weekend!

David

ARWadsworth 27-08-2011 10:06 PM

David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang
on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere
in the world will do.

Roy Castle, the entertainer.

Nope.

It is well documented that Roy Castle did die of passive smoking, but
if you are simply going to contradict anyone who doesn't agree with
you then I shall not waste my time with you.

He died of lung cancer. Passive smoking was a suggested cause of that lung
cancer. That does not make it a well well documented proof.

--
Adam

The Medway Handyman[_3_] 27-08-2011 10:44 PM

On 27/08/2011 21:47, David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on
to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

Roy Castle, the entertainer.

Nope.

It is well documented that Roy Castle did die of passive smoking, but if
you are simply going to contradict anyone who doesn't agree with you
then I shall not waste my time with you.

Roy Castle died of lung cancer, like many non smokers do, but it wasn't
caused by the myth of passive smoking.

The types of lung cancer affecting smokers & non smokers are entirely
different & occur in entirely different parts of the lung.

Inconvenient I know, but true nevertheless.

Fuschia[_3_] 27-08-2011 10:44 PM

Blowing Neighbours smell away

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 22:06:16 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang
on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere
in the world will do.

Roy Castle, the entertainer.

Nope.

It is well documented that Roy Castle did die of passive smoking, but
if you are simply going to contradict anyone who doesn't agree with
you then I shall not waste my time with you.

He died of lung cancer. Passive smoking was a suggested cause of that lung
cancer. That does not make it a well well documented proof.

He believed it himself. That's good enough for me.