Old 11-09-2011, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sweet Corn

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:

Surely it goes...
Breakfast

Then croust - elevenses as foreigners know it :-)
Lunch
Afternoon tea (tea and cake about 4pm, still popular in some parts of the
Empire)
Dinner
Supper (late in the evening, cold meats, bread cheese and pickles etc)

Indeed :-) One of the reasons that this whole terminology is such
nonsense is that it varies immensely with time and place. While I
do sometimes eat after 11 pm (being a geek from way back), I still
call the main evening meal supper when it is informal because that is
the way it was used when I was young. Yes, I know that it is
historically incorrect, and have no idea when it started as one of the
innumerable shibboleths invented for the benefit of the English class
system. My reading indicates probably sometime between 1920 and 1950
and, as people point out, it has now almost disappeared again.

Obviously, the only reason I remarked was because it was such a
wonderful lead-in for Tibetan tea :-) Many Web recipes are clearly
modified for western tastes, and I am not sure whether the older
travel documents were correct (i.e. that it uses rancid yak butter)
or them (that it uses fresh butter) were traditionally correct.

Oh, and someone is coming for afternoon tea today - with scones and
clotted cream :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 11, 6:36*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Nick wrote .

Vicky wrote:

I don't tend to salt the water of any veg anyhow. *Although Nick does,
discovered the other day when he actually made the boys' tea the other
day.
It was horrid.
As far as I know, only Thibetan tea is normally made with salt,
and it's reputation certainly is that all westerners find it
horrid!

:-P
Dinner, then, you damned southerner.

Er, no, supper :-)

Surely it goes...
Breakfast
Lunch
Afternoon tea (tea and cake about 4pm, still popular in some parts of the
Empire)
Dinner
Supper (late in the evening, cold meats, bread cheese and pickles etc)

Most people miss out afternoon tea and supper these days although there
appears to be some that have started to call dinner supper which it
certainly isn't. I think Nigel Slater is one such from watching a program
of his.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

That has been my family's routine for as long as I can remember

Mike

A proper days feeding should be
Breakfast
Elevenses
Lunch
Afternoon tea
High tea
Dinner
Supper
Old 11-09-2011, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Sep 11, 6:36 am, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Nick wrote .

Vicky wrote:

[...]

.................................................. ...

;-)

I have my figure to think about ;-)

Mike

Old 11-09-2011, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:

Oh, and someone is coming for afternoon tea today - with scones and
clotted cream :-)

Both afternoon tea, and High Tea (different times, different food) are
still well known in Scotland.

And elsewhere. As far as I can see, the only meal we haven't included
is a midnight feast :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Janet wrote:

Oh, and someone is coming for afternoon tea today - with scones and
clotted cream :-)

Both afternoon tea, and High Tea (different times, different food) are
still well known in Scotland.

And elsewhere. As far as I can see, the only meal we haven't included
is a midnight feast :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

What time do you have that?

Mike

Old 11-09-2011, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Dave Hill wrote:
A proper days feeding should be
Breakfast
Elevenses
Lunch
Afternoon tea
High tea
Dinner
Supper

Midnight snack.

And you forgot your G+T break.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

wrote:
And elsewhere. As far as I can see, the only meal we haven't included
is a midnight feast :-)

Oops. :-)
Old 11-09-2011, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote

Dave Hill wrote:
A proper days feeding should be
Breakfast
Elevenses
Lunch
Afternoon tea
High tea
Dinner
Supper

Midnight snack.

And you forgot your G+T break.

No, he mentioned elevenses :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Sep 11, 2:54*pm, wrote:
wrote:
And elsewhere. *As far as I can see, the only meal we haven't included
is a midnight feast :-)

Oops. *:-)

That depends when you have your supper.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
A proper days feeding should be
Breakfast
Elevenses
Lunch
Afternoon tea
High tea
Dinner
Supper

Midnight snack.

And you forgot your G+T break.

No, he mentioned elevenses :-)

I know who I want to visit next holidays! ;-)

Country Gentleman sweet corn Gary The Rookie Farmer Edible Gardening 6 29-06-2003 09:44 PM
Sweet Corn Janice United Kingdom 7 25-06-2003 08:28 PM
Spinach and Sweet Corn Adrian Jones United Kingdom 11 20-05-2003 04:20 PM
Raccoons in the sweet corn Tim B Edible Gardening 4 20-02-2003 12:39 PM
Open pollenated sweet corn zxcvbob Edible Gardening 2 29-01-2003 10:30 PM