Old 13-10-2011, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Berberis

Aubrey Barker came to talk last week about bark and berries etc. (he of
Hopley's fame) Anyway to cut a long story short he brought a very
attractive branch from what he called Berberis Wilsoniae.

Now........... when you search via Google or on the net anywhere you
seem to get very different versions of this plant.

The bit he brought was exactly like the one Burnoose Nurseries show, a
very attractive pink almost rowan like berry, the bark is also pale but
a hint of cream as are the leaves.

(The third photo down on the left hand side)

All in all everyone at the meeting liked it but i wondered why there
are such different varieties on the net? One shows it to be a really
dark green and nothing unusual.

Anyone else grow/seen it?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 14-10-2011, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/10/2011 23:57, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Aubrey Barker came to talk last week about bark and berries etc. (he of
Hopley's fame) Anyway to cut a long story short he brought a very
attractive branch from what he called Berberis Wilsoniae.

Now........... when you search via Google or on the net anywhere you
seem to get very different versions of this plant.

The bit he brought was exactly like the one Burnoose Nurseries show, a
very attractive pink almost rowan like berry, the bark is also pale but
a hint of cream as are the leaves.

(The third photo down on the left hand side)

All in all everyone at the meeting liked it but i wondered why there are
such different varieties on the net? One shows it to be a really dark
green and nothing unusual.

Anyone else grow/seen it?

Sorry, Janet, I couldn't see your pics. Suspect you forgot the link, or
is it among the dalmation info?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 14-10-2011, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes
Sorry, Janet, I couldn't see your pics. Suspect you forgot the link,
or is it among the dalmation info?

I could have sworn I had included the link, sorry Spider

http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=537
Old 14-10-2011, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/10/2011 15:26, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Spider
writes
Sorry, Janet, I couldn't see your pics. Suspect you forgot the link,
or is it among the dalmation info?

I could have sworn I had included the link, sorry Spider

http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/plants.cfm?pl_id=537

Thanks, Janet. That really is a lovely-looking shrub; I like the
arching growth, but especially that it's smothered with berries.

I don't think I've ever grown B.wilsoniae, but I wouldn't mind growing
that one, but I would be worried about ending up with a less attractive
clone.

Years ago, having admired B. stenophylla in other gardens, I grew it but
found that, once established, it started to sucker and take over. It
took me ages to dig all of it out.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay

Berberis Beyond Repair? Bennett Gardening 2 12-06-2003 02:08 AM
berberis cuttings Roy United Kingdom 4 14-04-2003 08:44 AM
Berberis i.d please Sacha United Kingdom 2 07-04-2003 09:44 PM
Berberis problem - Repost Judy Rigby United Kingdom 1 22-03-2003 11:30 AM
Berberis & caterpillars Judy Rigby United Kingdom 0 18-03-2003 08:44 AM