Old 15-10-2011, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chillies

My chillies (Cayennes in a greenhouse) are coming to the end of their
useful production life, but some are developing brown woody looking
sections on their stems. We have been hit by both potato and tomato
blight (all obviously infected material has been removed from the
scene of the crime). I have been evicting the affected plants. Yes;
I am fighting various slugs and snails and probably red spider mite

Since chillies are related to the tomato familly, are these symptoms
indicative of a similar blight infection?

TIA
JonH
Old 15-10-2011, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JonH wrote

My chillies (Cayennes in a greenhouse) are coming to the end of their
useful production life, but some are developing brown woody looking
sections on their stems. We have been hit by both potato and tomato
blight (all obviously infected material has been removed from the
scene of the crime). I have been evicting the affected plants. Yes;
I am fighting various slugs and snails and probably red spider mite

Since chillies are related to the tomato familly, are these symptoms
indicative of a similar blight infection?

No, chillies are a perennial plant that if we didn't get frost would live
for a few years and grow like a shrub. It's just developing bark around it's
trunk.
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Old 16-10-2011, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 23:15:17 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

JonH wrote

My chillies (Cayennes in a greenhouse) are coming to the end of their
useful production life, but some are developing brown woody looking
sections on their stems. We have been hit by both potato and tomato
blight (all obviously infected material has been removed from the
scene of the crime). I have been evicting the affected plants. Yes;
I am fighting various slugs and snails and probably red spider mite

Since chillies are related to the tomato familly, are these symptoms
indicative of a similar blight infection?

No, chillies are a perennial plant that if we didn't get frost would live
for a few years and grow like a shrub. It's just developing bark around it's
trunk.

Bob:

Thanks. The literature suggests that Cayennes are difficult to over
winter. Now, I may have a go.

Regards
JonH
Old 16-10-2011, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JonH wrote ...

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

JonH wrote

My chillies (Cayennes in a greenhouse) are coming to the end of their
useful production life, but some are developing brown woody looking
sections on their stems. We have been hit by both potato and tomato
blight (all obviously infected material has been removed from the
scene of the crime). I have been evicting the affected plants. Yes;
I am fighting various slugs and snails and probably red spider mite

Since chillies are related to the tomato familly, are these symptoms
indicative of a similar blight infection?

No, chillies are a perennial plant that if we didn't get frost would live
for a few years and grow like a shrub. It's just developing bark around
it's
trunk.

Thanks. The literature suggests that Cayennes are difficult to over
winter. Now, I may have a go.

All chillies are difficult to keep over winter IME which is why we grow them
as annuals. It appears to be a combination of cold, damp and lack of light
that makes them expire slowly during the winter months.

Old 16-10-2011, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 12:50:20 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

JonH wrote ...

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

JonH wrote

[...]

I have had one chillie last through winter but it was in a warm corner
by the house. It wasn't very productive the second year.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old 17-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
All chillies are difficult to keep over winter IME which is why we grow them
as annuals. It appears to be a combination of cold, damp and lack of light
that makes them expire slowly during the winter months.
Rocotos (Capsicum pubescens) are reportedly easier than the rest, indeed they can even take a light frost. I've been growing Rocotos this year, and intend to have a go overwintering them. It was a good year to choose Rocotos, as the fruit will set and develop in cooler conditions than other chillies, and then the long mild autumn has now given me a good crop, though I've had to pick them all with some almost-frosts the last few nights. If I do overwinter them, maybe I will get an earlier crop next year.

Chilli-heads occasionally try and overwinter species that are hard to get to fruit same year if seed-grown in a British climate, such as habaneros. A bit of light supplementation with cheap grow-lights can help.

Chillies Not Flowering Sarah Dale United Kingdom 3 16-08-2003 12:33 AM
Chillies Kieron United Kingdom 7 27-07-2003 07:03 PM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors sprocket United Kingdom 25 19-04-2003 05:44 PM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors Martin Sykes Edible Gardening 3 24-02-2003 10:18 AM
Newbie: Growing chillies indoors Martin Sykes Gardening 2 24-02-2003 10:17 AM