Old 02-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Registered User

Default moving an old climbing rose (& honeysuckle)

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I need to move an old climbing rose and honeysuckle from an old neglected garden to a new position. They both must be really quite old, and whilst the honeysuckle isn't looking too good for its neglect the rose is still in pretty good shape (they must both have been trained on wire supports at one time).

Any tips on how/ when best to go about it and what are the chances of success?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
moving an old climbing rose (& honeysuckle)-rose2.jpg   moving an old climbing rose (& honeysuckle)-honeysuckle.jpg   moving an old climbing rose (& honeysuckle)-rose.jpg
Old 03-11-2011, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 2, 10:32*pm, donnief
wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I need to move an old climbing rose and honeysuckle from an old
neglected garden to a new position. They both must be really quite old,
and whilst the honeysuckle isn't looking too good for its neglect the
rose is still in pretty good shape (they must both have been trained on
wire supports at one time).

Any tips on how/ when best to go about it and what are the chances of
success?

Thanks

|Filename: ROSE2.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14486|
|Filename: HONEYSUCKLE.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14487|
|Filename: rose.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * |
|Download:http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14488|

donnief

I don't hold out a lot of hope inmoving the rose, it may well live but
won't be a great plant, I'd take cuttings 9 to 12 inches long from it
and Line them out in the garden, planting them 6 to 8 inches deep,
that way you can start with new plants next year.
David
Old 03-11-2011, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"donnief" wrote in message

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I need to move an old climbing rose and honeysuckle from an old
neglected garden to a new position. They both must be really quite old,
and whilst the honeysuckle isn't looking too good for its neglect the
rose is still in pretty good shape (they must both have been trained on
wire supports at one time).

Any tips on how/ when best to go about it and what are the chances of
success?

Thanks

|Filename: ROSE2.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14486|
|Filename: HONEYSUCKLE.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14487|
|Filename: rose.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14488|

donnief

Now is a very good time, cut back the plants hard, so they are easier to
handle and so the roots get a chance to re establish before having to
support a lot of growth.
Roses generally respond well to this, the honeysuckle is a bit more
difficult so take some of the cut off stems (make sure they are the right
way around) and stick them in the ground about two thirds the way in the new
position. Honeysuckles grow easily from these hard wood cuttings

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 03-11-2011, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 2, 10:32*pm, donnief
wrote:
[...]

Forget it with them both. Cut down and burn. Buy new ones.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnief View Post
I need to move an old climbing rose ... what are the chances of success?
I tried moving a couple of roses, which had only been in the ground 3-4 years. Did it as one would move any other shrub, in winter. They had very deep roots already. One was killed by the experience. The other has never really done very well since being moved.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 2, 10:32*pm, donnief
wrote:
[...]

Unless the rose is something very special I'd forget both plants and
get good new ones.
Otherwise follow Charlie's advice for the rose. Remove very old/
diseased/damaged wood and prune the rest fairly hard to balance the
huge root damage that will be incurred in digging it up. Don't plant
it where roses have grown recently (ie. within the last 5-10 years.)
David's advice on hardwood cuttings is also a good plan, sometimes
those old roses grow better on their own roots than when grown grafted
onto a rootstock. In anycase a few free plants is always good.

Rod

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Old climbing rose Dave Hill United Kingdom 6 06-11-2011 12:32 PM
moving a climbing rose silvery Roses 2 12-02-2011 10:37 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Bill Neff Bonsai 3 18-05-2005 04:28 AM
[IBC] For old, Old, OLD members ;-) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-05-2005 09:14 PM