Old 05-11-2011, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Old climbing rose

I am trying to remember the name of the pink climbing rose that was
over the front of the House we had in Hastings in the early 50's,
My mind has gone blank
Any ideas?
David
Old 05-11-2011, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
I am trying to remember the name of the pink climbing rose that was
over the front of the House we had in Hastings in the early 50's,
My mind has gone blank
Any ideas?
David

New Dawn? Everyone had it in the 1950's

Phil

Old 05-11-2011, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Nov 5, 4:16*pm, "Phil Gurr" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

I am trying to remember the name of the pink climbing rose that was
over the front of the House we had in Hastings in the early 50's,
My mind has gone blank
Any ideas?
David

New Dawn? Everyone had it in the 1950's

Phil

That name doesn't ring a bell, the plant was all over the front of the
house up to the roof when we moved in in 1953 so it must have been
several years old at that time.
]It took a very severe cutting back very well and was still growing
there when we moved away in the early 70's.
David
Old 06-11-2011, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

I am trying to remember the name of the pink climbing rose that was
over the front of the House we had in Hastings in the early 50's,
My mind has gone blank
Any ideas?
David

New Dawn? Everyone had it in the 1950's

Phil

That name doesn't ring a bell, the plant was all over the front of the
house up to the roof when we moved in in 1953 so it must have been
several years old at that time.
]It took a very severe cutting back very well and was still growing
there when we moved away in the early 70's.
David

Albertine or Madam Gregoire Stachelin, but there are an awful lot of big
blousy pink climbing roses

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 06-11-2011, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Sacha and Charlie, that's it Albertine, strange how you can
blank on a name you have known for ever.
Just doing a quick check I'm supprised to see it rated as a Rambler, I
always thought that with a rambler you cut out the wood that had
flowered and trained in the new growth, where as with a climber toy
gradualy developed a permanant framework and just pruned as required
as well as removing the old flowers.
I always curse myself for not having cuttings of Peace when I worked
in Cardiff.
A person I was training had 4 bushes in his garden, He bought them for
his wife in 1948 so they would have been the Origional stock that was
brought through the War, now they have been re selected so often.
David