Old 03-11-2011, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Overwintering Pleione

My Pleione formosana are growing in clay pots. I have stopped watering
them and brought them indoors. Should I leave them as they are, rooted
in compost, or lift them all from the compost and store them loosely
within a tray of fresh dry compost? Also, should I (gently) break away
the old, yellowed backbulbs, or leave them to their own devices? The
old leaves are already starting to fall away, so they are no problem.

Secondary question: will the several tiny new pseudobulbs survive to
grow on next year, or will they shrivel too much to be of any use?

Thanks for your time and brain power.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote

My Pleione formosana are growing in clay pots. I have stopped watering
them and brought them indoors. Should I leave them as they are, rooted in
compost, or lift them all from the compost and store them loosely within a
tray of fresh dry compost? Also, should I (gently) break away the old,
yellowed backbulbs, or leave them to their own devices? The old leaves are
already starting to fall away, so they are no problem.

Secondary question: will the several tiny new pseudobulbs survive to grow
on next year, or will they shrivel too much to be of any use?

Thanks for your time and brain power.

I've grown them for years including some of the hybrids and they stay out
all year (even during the last two winters).

My method for growing is to repot every two years, sometimes longer, during
the dormant period in late winter** the old back bulbs are left in place
until repotting, the pots are brought right up against the house under our
bench so they stay just frost free as if they were under snow as they would
be in the wild. In colder parts of the UK then a cold greenhouse might be
better but indoors would be too hot unless you are very hardy souls. The
very tiny new pseudobulbs that grow on top of the old bulbs (not the ones
that replace the old bulbs) take some years to reach flowering size but just
push them into the compost and let them do their thing. Or you can push them
into any deep moss covered pot or log (Bonsai pots in my case) and forget
about them and they will gradually get bigger and eventually flower.

** Some hybrids flower very early and no Pleione will stand growing roots
being disturbed at all so repot the early flowerers that bit earlier, a few
weeks after the leaves completely fall, say mid December.

How did yours do this year Rod?
--
Regards Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup from the W. of London UK

Old 04-11-2011, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/11/2011 21:45, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote

[...]

Thanks for that, Bob. Very helpful. I will leave them as they are for
now then. I can't leave repotting for two years this time because
they're filling a small pot to capacity now, but potting up is not
really a worry. I even have a suitable clay pan just begging for that
job. I shall certainly pot up the tiny top-growth pseudobulbs separately
and grow them on. This year was the first time I'd grown them and I love
them to bits, so I'm not wasting any! When I've built up my collection,
so I'm not quite so paranoid about them, I will try planting a few in a
sheltered part of the garden to see how they cope.

Although I said I had brought them indoors, which was rather misleading,
I have merely brought them into my garden room which is a single brick
extension to the house, which is chilly enough in winter to require a
fan heater with a frost stat for really bad weather. If I thought it
was getting too warm in there for the Pleiones, I'd move them to my
mini-greenhouse outside, but I think they'll be all right where they are.

Thanks for your advice.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote

[...]

With regard to the very tiny pseudobulbs, use a clay pan as normal and top
the compost with live sphagnum moss and push the little bulbs into that. If
you can keep the moss growing the bulbs will be fine. I always top my pots
with a bit of moss around the the plants, they seem to like snuggling in it.
You will eventually have so many bulbs you will find it difficult to even
give them all away.
Others I have grown successfully outside are "Shantung" (stunning large
yellow), "Eiger" (similar to the species but smaller/earlier), "Tongariro"
and "Vesuvius" all obtained from Ian Butterfield at his suggestion.

This site might be of interest... http://www.pleione.info/

Old 04-11-2011, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/11/2011 17:28, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote

[...]

Thanks, Bob. Will try and get hold of live sphagnum moss nearer the
time and try that. Loved that link (saved it!) and will have another
look soon. Amazingly tempting ;~). Have only looked at the pretty bit
so far, but can't wait to look at some of the more practical pages.

I find it hard to believe that I could have too many bulbs, but your
advice *usually* pans out ... time will tell:~).

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay

Pleione formosana Clare 1 P Max Orchid Photos 0 25-02-2007 11:33 PM
Pleione Shepherd's Warning 1 P Max Orchid Photos 0 25-02-2007 11:33 PM
Pleione assortment P Max Orchid Photos 0 25-02-2007 11:33 PM
Query: Pleione orchid potting up - how-to please? Orchidoofus Orchids 3 10-02-2007 06:19 AM
Looking for Pleione in EUROpa max Orchids 0 29-01-2005 05:21 AM