Old 02-05-2003, 11:05 AM
Registered User

Location: London
Default Strawberry seeds

hello everybody, i recently bought some strawberry from the local market and they were really big and juicy. I was wondering if i could take the seed off some how and grow them?

Is it possible? Thanks very much in advance.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:57 PM
Tim Tyler

dommy wrote:

: hello everybody, i recently bought some strawberry from the local market
: and they were really big and juicy. I was wondering if i could take the
: seed off some how and grow them?

: Is it possible? Thanks very much in advance.

Strawberry seeds frequently germinate successfully - try them and see.

It may be a bit late to start now and get much fruit this year.

Young strawberry plants are available inexpensively at garden centres
now, though.
--
__________
Old 03-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Rick McGreal

"Alan Holmes" wrote in
:

One should never buy more than half a dozen strawberries for this
reason.

Why not?

Old 03-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Charlie

For the reason that Alan stated - the multiply very fast and will take over
if you're not careful! Threes also no point in buying lots as you can have
multiplied what you have bu two or three in as many years.

Charlie.

"Rick McGreal" wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote in
:

One should never buy more than half a dozen strawberries for this
reason.

Why not?

---

Old 03-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Tim Tyler

Alan Holmes wrote:
: "Dwayne" wrote in message

: I understand that seeding will work, but I dont know how to go about it.
: I bought about 50 plants last spring and planted them, and now I have to go
: through them and dig them all up because the runners have gone out and
: made about 4 times that many plants. Then I have been going back and
: replanting them the right distance apart, and giving away the extra [...]

: One should never buy more than half a dozen strawberries for this reason.

....unless you're in a hurry ;-)
--
__________

Old 04-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Alan Holmes

"Rick McGreal" wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote in
:

One should never buy more than half a dozen strawberries for this
reason.

Why not?

Because after the first fruiting they will throw runners and you will have
more plants than you can deal with for the following year.

Mine have got lots of flowers on at the moment, so I'm expecting a good
crop later.

Fortunately, I rather like straberries!

Alan

Old 04-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Rick McGreal

"Alan Holmes" wrote in
:

Why not?

Because after the first fruiting they will throw runners and you will
have more plants than you can deal with for the following year.

Ah......
Thats a good thing then....
I only have 2 (One from a runner)
So I hope I get some extra for next year.....

Mine have got lots of flowers on at the moment, so I'm expecting a
good crop later.

I only have 3 flowers on each head.....B-(

Fortunately, I rather like straberries!

Me too....I'm doing Strawberries and Blueberries.....

Fruity fun for the summertime!