Old 20-11-2011, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default mowing grass now?

Hi - I had some new turf laid back in August and it it settled really
well, but with the mild weather the grass continued growing after I
last cut it. So now it looks a bit untidy. Is it possible to mow it
still at this time of year with no sign of frosts in the near future?

JIP
Old 20-11-2011, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 11:57:24 -0600, "JIP"
wrote:

Hi - I had some new turf laid back in August and it it settled really
well, but with the mild weather the grass continued growing after I
last cut it. So now it looks a bit untidy. Is it possible to mow it
still at this time of year with no sign of frosts in the near future?

JIP

Despite what a lot of people say, it's basically ok to mow grass all
through the year provided that the ground will allow it. By that I
mean that if the ground is waterlogged (or really wet) it's best not
to walk on it. If it's frosted, that's a definite no-no as is walking
on grass that has snow on it (if you care for the grass that is).
Generally speaking, the rule is to keep the application of feet to a
lawn surface to a minimum when the ground is wet, frosted or snow
covered. But unless you want a bowling green lawn, "minimum" doesn't
mean "none").

If the weather's right, I'll be cutting my grass sometime in the next
week or so - it needs it.

If your soil's clay, that reduces the "minimum" a bit closer to
"none". If it's light and sandy, much less of a problem. You know your
ground.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
URGling in between collecting leaves at
the dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay.
Old 22-11-2011, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jake
writes
wrote:

[...]

I've just mown mine again having thought it was time to put the mower
away.
Just don't cut it too short.
--
hugh