Old 21-11-2011, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default VAT on allotments?

We just got our renewal notice for the allotment, and for the first time VAT
has been added. Have allotments recently been brought into the VAT fold, or
is this a cock-up? (Our allottments are owned by a private estate and
administered by an estate agent)

Steve

Old 21-11-2011, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:00:02 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

We just got our renewal notice for the allotment, and for the first time VAT
has been added. Have allotments recently been brought into the VAT fold, or
is this a cock-up? (Our allottments are owned by a private estate and
administered by an estate agent)

Steve

Councils generally treat allotments as non-business lettings and so
outside the scope of VAT.

In your case, the allotment is let as a business letting so whilst the
rental is still essentially VAT exempt, that exemption can be waived.
Confusing but if the landlord or the agent has decided to waive the
exemption then they charge VAT and HMG gets a bit more tax income.
They don't benefit at all as they have to pay the VAT over, of course.

Probably you need to ask the question of the agent - have they waived
the exemption or made a mistake? You have nothing to lose by asking
the question.

Cheers, Jake
URGling in between collecting leaves at
the dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay.

VAT on tea? David Hill United Kingdom 6 05-02-2016 11:53 PM
glasgows forgotten allotments harry plotter United Kingdom 9 24-11-2005 06:18 PM
info on allotments please shannie United Kingdom 30 02-09-2003 09:47 PM
Allotments Trusts Richard Wiltshire United Kingdom 0 06-03-2003 05:13 PM
Allotments Group Roberto United Kingdom 0 18-02-2003 06:17 PM