Old 25-04-2003, 08:25 PM
Registered User

Location: glasgow
Default glasgows forgotten allotments

many allotments in glasgow are coming under increasing attack from youths the council allotments are coming under attack from the council who own them by doing nothing full stop to repair fencing gates water pipes we have a so called allotment forum which only pays lip service to us and is dominated by a so called scottish allotment group which in my opinion is in bed with the council .
Old 26-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Ophelia

"harry plotter" wrote in message
many allotments in glasgow are coming under increasing attack from
youths the council allotments are coming under attack from the council
who own them by doing nothing full stop to repair fencing gates water
pipes we have a so called allotment forum which only pays lip service
to us and is dominated by a so called scottish allotment group which
in my opinion is in bed with the council .

Yes I know( I am a way out of Glasgow but would love an allotment but
there doesn't seem to be any point

I would love to hear if there is any progess!

Ophelia

Old 27-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Hussein M.

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 20:58:27 GMT, harry plotter
wrote:

many allotments in glasgow are coming under increasing attack from
youths the council allotments are coming under attack from the council
who own them by doing nothing full stop to repair fencing gates water
pipes we have a so called allotment forum which only pays lip service
to us and is dominated by a so called scottish allotment group which
in my opinion is in bed with the council .

Hi Harry,

I'm sure you have a grievance (it sounds grievous to me) and would
find many sympathisers here in u.r.g. but you might get better actual
results in a forum which is more local and concerned local government.

Looking at gardenbanters list of newsgroups I suppose you could try
uk.business.agriculture, after all you seem to consider it very much
your business even if you don't intend to earn a living from your
allotment.

I notice, having just looked, that gardenbanter doesn't, but should
have u.r.g.'s FAQ or charter posted.

Huss

Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.
Old 27-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

--

I'm afraid you have to keep on to the Council to get anything done, become
the allotment site rep and go to the Council meeting which they should have

There is a National Soc of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners Ltd
Tel:- 01536 266576

http://www.nsalg.demon.co.uk/

The annual fee is small, you can join individually or as an allotment site
and they will fight your case. ( check that also applies to Scotland,
different laws apply)

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 20-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Registered User

Talking

our plots are run buy forgetfull landlords who let plots to people who arent even council rate payers knowingly .also they seem to take a lot of interest in what sags mouthpiece judy wilkinson has to say yet she not only is a private plot holder but does not speak for every plot holder in glasgow and isnt even interested in what opinions we have .the council is more in terested in ploughing money into awareness this and awareness that but what about our plots wee need a money infusion too :the council and others started a group calles glasgow allottment fourum a couple of years ago but havent even resolved the issues at the first meetings {this was originally called glasgow allottment network after a lot of groundwork and talking to most of the allottment reps it got highjacked by sags who where in cahoots with the council heid honcos.

Old 21-11-2005, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"amoffski" wrote

our plots are run buy forgetfull landlords who let plots to people who
arent even council rate payers knowingly .also they seem to take a lot
of interest in what sags mouthpiece judy wilkinson has to say yet she
not only is a private plot holder but does not speak for every plot
holder in glasgow and isnt even interested in what opinions we have
.the council is more in terested in ploughing money into awareness
this and awareness that but what about our plots wee need a money
infusion too :the council and others started a group calles glasgow
allottment fourum a couple of years ago but havent even resolved the
issues at the first meetings {this was originally called glasgow
allottment network after a lot of groundwork and talking to most of
the allottment reps it got highjacked by sags who where in cahoots
with the council heid honcos.

This sort of thing is quite common. The Council workers and Councillors very
seldom know anything about gardening let alone allotment gardening. They
therefore have to rely on informed people which is where your Scottish
Allotment Garden Society gets it's foot in the door.
Money for allotments is tight everywhere but our Government has demanded
that allotments are advertised so what little money there is tends to go in
this area.
Some within the Council will also see allotments as wasted land. With some
Councils these people are in the majority and allotments suffer lack of
funding etc., in order to drive people away so the land can be used for
something productive (in their mind), i.e. building.
Join SAGS yourself and persuade other plot holders to do the same then you
will have a voice in that body but you will have to go to their meetings,
listen, make notes, and ask questions etc, put them on the spot!
Alternatively start a local allotment society for all the sites in the
Borough/City, they have this in Windsor & Maidenhead, then the Council have
one local body (with clout) to talk with.
In Windsor the Council lease all the sites to the society and it's they that
then rent them out to the individual plotholders, so the Council have very
little dealings with the allotments. It's one large "self-managed" scheme.
Do your Reps have an annual meeting with the Council? They should demand it,
just them and the Council, no other outside bodies should or need to be
involved.
BTW we pay £79 pa for the normal 10 Rods.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 21-11-2005, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La puce

Bob Hobden wrote:

(snip)

BTW we pay £79 pa for the normal 10 Rods.

Gosh. I pay £17/yr.

Old 21-11-2005, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Alister wrote:
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 23:20:55 +0000, amoffski
wrote:

[...]

Best to forget about it.

No. Best tae get oot there and do some bluidy gairdening, Jummie.
When ye've some muck under yir nails, if there's a spare moment, find
out how to use capital letters and a few simple punctuation marks,
then we may understand what the hell ye're maning aboot. I'm not
fussy: just stairt with a full stop or two, and then build your
confidence till you can risk a comma.

--
Mike.

Old 23-11-2005, 08:47 PM
Registered User

The grammar and punctuation is not the problem !!!TADDGER!!! . The sags backstabbers and council see,hear ,speak no evil are the problematic one's.
Old 24-11-2005, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

amoffski wrote:
Mike Lyle Wrote:

[...]
fussy: just stairt with a full stop or two, and then build your
confidence till you can risk a comma.

--
Mike.

The grammar and punctuation is not the problem !!!TADDGER!!! . The
sags backstabbers and council see,hear ,speak no evil are the
problematic one's.

Nice word, which I'll treasure for later use: thanks. Oh, and good
luck with the allotment.

--
Mike.