Old 09-12-2011, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing wisteria from seeds?

I've pulled some ripe pods off the wisteria. Any advice and tips please
on when and how to try planting them?

Variety Wisteria floribunda Pink ice.

The wisteria is all on its own, so the plant has self pollinated. Does
this mean the seeds will come true or is it pot luck what the plants
will be like?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
r...
I've pulled some ripe pods off the wisteria. Any advice and tips please on
when and how to try planting them?

Variety Wisteria floribunda Pink ice.

The wisteria is all on its own, so the plant has self pollinated. Does
this mean the seeds will come true or is it pot luck what the plants will
be like?

--
David in Normandy.

Just sow and forget, they germinate best after a winters cold, you do need
rodent protection to stop them getting eaten.

It will be pot luck for colour and form, but my own plant is a seedling and
is a cracker, most wisteria are going to be good, the down side is waiting
for the first flowers, can be up to 25 years for W sinensis but the good
news for you is W Pink Ice is a floribunda cultivar and they flower a lot
quicker, my own plant took only 5 years to flower from seed.

Go for it

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 10-12-2011, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/12/2011 10:05, Charlie Pridham wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the reply. I'll get them planted in some pots outside with
some fine wire mesh over the top.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Suffolk

Hi David

Make sure the seeds are a light brown colour before planting. I would recommend nicking and soaking the seed overnight in warm water before sowing with compost (about 3cm deep).

You've got a long wait ahead of you if you decide to go this route - you may not see a flower for 10 - 15 years, so the more common method is to propagate a stem.

Good luck.

Matt
www.gardenitems.co.uk

Seeds, Seeds, Seeds Kimberly Edible Gardening 8 03-01-2007 05:37 PM
Water Wisteria not growing well Ook Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 06-07-2005 07:54 PM
Stopping wisteria growing under roof tiles Lobster United Kingdom 3 14-06-2005 08:45 AM
Wisteria! Cereoid+10 Gardening 0 23-01-2003 07:28 PM
Wisteria!! GrampysGurl Gardening 1 23-01-2003 06:09 PM