Old 10-12-2011, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Be warned

For those who have noticed postings from Jake who says he is from "the
dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay." I shgould point out that this is
dryer, not Dry,
It's this rain that gives us the lush green and the beautifull
beaches that are "The Gower",
http://www.the-gower.com/beaches/beaches.htm
The miles of sea washed sands that are Swansea Bay Look at
Images of Swansea bay on Google Images
Fabulous gardens such as Clyne gardens in the spring
http://www.enjoygower.com/panos/clyne.cfm
Why not visit this great part of Wales and also have the chance to
sample real Welsh Rain
David
At the wet end of Swansea bay
..
Old 10-12-2011, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 11:10:31 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

For those who have noticed postings from Jake who says he is from "the
dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay." I shgould point out that this is
dryer, not Dry,
It's this rain that gives us the lush green and the beautifull
beaches that are "The Gower",
http://www.the-gower.com/beaches/beaches.htm
The miles of sea washed sands that are Swansea Bay Look at
Images of Swansea bay on Google Images
Fabulous gardens such as Clyne gardens in the spring
http://www.enjoygower.com/panos/clyne.cfm
Why not visit this great part of Wales and also have the chance to
sample real Welsh Rain
David
At the wet end of Swansea bay
.

But remember to wear wellies and to book the crane that a certain Mr
Gavin used at Chelsea this year - you may need it to heave you out of
the mud. Also a good idea to carry a few spare pairs of wellies in
case yours don't come out of the mud with you.

And, of course, the lush green beaches of the Gower are simply because
so much wet has meant that the weeds have colonised the sand. At the
dryer east end, we have sand dunes (Kenfig), rich in flora and fauna,
including some very rare orchids, but these lead to lovely beaches
which are golden, as sandy beaches should be.

And you don't need so many pairs of wellies!

Actually, the whole of South Wales has so much to offer, from the
scenic cliffs of Southerndown, the graceful curves of Swansea Bay (and
the graceful curves of the bikini clad ladies you will often find on
the golden sands in the summer), waves for surfers, rocks for
climbers, wonderful views, lovely gardens and, if that isn't enough,
the occasional glimpse of the Swansea Bay Three exercising in their
red shorts on the beach somewhere.

And a lot of mud at the west end.

)))))))

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling (after the first frost) from
the dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote

Dave Hill wrote:

For those who have noticed postings from Jake who says he is from "the
dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay." I should point out that this is
[...]

I must admit, to my shame, I've only ever been to Wales once and that was
for a friends funeral up near Lampeter. Lovely countryside, stunning views
and comparatively empty.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

[...]

Thats because them from the East end come West and when they go
paddling in their wellies they wash off the mud they brought with
them.
David
From the wet end of Swansea bay.
PS
Talking of wellies,
I remember when I was out in Tunisia, it was raining and walking along
was a local in full brown robes, and peeking out under them were a
pair of green wellies
Old 11-12-2011, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

For those who have noticed postings from Jake who says he is from "the
dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay." I shgould point out that this is
dryer, not Dry,
It's this rain that gives us the lush green and the beautifull
beaches that are "The Gower",
http://www.the-gower.com/beaches/beaches.htm
The miles of sea washed sands that are Swansea Bay Look at
Images of Swansea bay on Google Images
Fabulous gardens such as Clyne gardens in the spring
http://www.enjoygower.com/panos/clyne.cfm
Why not visit this great part of Wales and also have the chance to
sample real Welsh Rain
David
At the wet end of Swansea bay
.

When I lived in Newport Mon. in 1964-1966, if I referred to the Gower
Peninsula as The Gower, I was always corrected by the locals.
Was I correct all the time?

Yes you were Martin.

At our camera club as speaker corrected us when we referred to the Scilly
Isles (or The isles of Scilly) as just The Scillies. She later called the
Gower Peninsular. - The Gower - and was promptly brought to book.

Bill

Old 11-12-2011, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

Bill- Hide quoted text -

Well here we just calkl it The Gower
Old 11-12-2011, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

The one that annoys me is when the English refer to 'Mount' Snowdon. The BBC
made this error again last week.
Similar error: 'Lake' Windermere etc.
R :-(

Old 11-12-2011, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ragnar" wrote in message

"Bill Grey" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

You had better educate me.

What's wrong with Mount Snowdon or Lake Windermere?

Mike

Old 11-12-2011, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 16:20:51 +0000, Sacha wrote:

I've always understood that Scillonians prefer it if the reference is
just to Scilly.

Does that make them silly Scillonians?

Cheers, Jake

I can assure you, from experience which is right up to date, like TODAY,
because I am doing a lot of photography for them,
NO.......NO..............NO

Mike

Old 11-12-2011, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 15:35:17 -0000, "Ragnar"
wrote:

The one that annoys me is when the English refer to 'Mount' Snowdon. The BBC
made this error again last week.
Similar error: 'Lake' Windermere etc.
R :-(

Whilst whatever the English call it is sort of immaterial (we call it
"Yr Wyddfa"), Snowdon is old English for "snow hill", hence "snowed
on". So prefixing with "Mount" is probably wrong as it should be
suffixed .

Some people refer to "Yr Wyddfa" as "Eryri" but this is incorrect as
"Eryri" refers to Snowdonia - the national park area.

It is a matter of some debate as to whether Eryri (see above) is dryer
or wetter than the wet end of Swansea Bay, particularly as the advice
is that when walking in Eryri (Snowdonia) you should always wear stout
walking boots rather than wellies!

But the error of the mere of Winder is definitely glaring. The Beeb
has long lost it's exalted place as the fount of knowledge. They keep
referring to a certain PM exercising a "veto" on Friday when there was
no "veto" to exercise. But that's another matter entirely.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================

Old 11-12-2011, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
wrote:

For those who have noticed postings from Jake who says he is from "the
dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay." I shgould point out that this is
dryer, not Dry,
It's this rain that gives us the lush green and the beautifull
beaches that are "The Gower",
http://www.the-gower.com/beaches/beaches.htm
The miles of sea washed sands that are Swansea Bay Look at
Images of Swansea bay on Google Images
Fabulous gardens such as Clyne gardens in the spring
http://www.enjoygower.com/panos/clyne.cfm
Why not visit this great part of Wales and also have the chance to
sample real Welsh Rain
David
At the wet end of Swansea bay
.

When I lived in Newport Mon. in 1964-1966, if I referred to the Gower
Peninsula as The Gower, I was always corrected by the locals.
Was I correct all the time? I only ever went to the Gower Peninsula in
summer on warm sunny days, so I don't have cold soggy memories of it
like I do of Newport. If there had been more warm sunny days I would
have gone there more often.

The Lordship of Gower was composed of more that just the Gower
Peninsular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gower_(Lordship)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 11-12-2011, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Could be! I can't argue about that - I was just quoting an incident.

Bill

Old 12-12-2011, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-12-11 14:58:57 +0000, "Bill Grey"

wrote:

[...]

Ah. I thought you might have been told which was preferred!
--
Sacha

I can't actually remember if it was "The Scilly Isles" or The Isles of
Scilly"

The person giving us the talk was adamant that it was not just "The
Scillies"

Bill