Old 12-12-2011, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Labiate ID

In message , kay
writes

'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote:
;943957']On 11/12/2011 22:18, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

(snip)
-

OK. I've looked at some more genera (e.g. Misopates).

It looks as if it's Chaenorhinum origanifolium, possibly the cultivar
'Blue Dream'. Doesn't look all that much like Chaenorhinum minus,
which
I occasionally see in the wild (it has an affinity for gravel around
electricity substations).-

Chaenorhinum origanifolium looks a pretty good match.

I new one on me, so I googled. Aka Malling toadflax, has been growing
near West Malling since about 1880, also known from 9 other sites.

According to the BSBI map site, recorded from 13 tetrads.

And also grown as a garden plant.

This one is probably a garden plant, though unlabelled, and possibly
self-sown. I saw some other species there, which though not as
nationally rare as Malling toadflax, are rare enough to be worthy of
note (e.g. Securigera varia). The problem is deciding whether they are
spontaneous or deliberate introductions - the major gardens open to the
public tend to accrue rarities - I think that propagules are distributed
(unintentionally) by visitors.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-12-2011, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 19:51:43 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

I think it's some type of Antirrhinum (flowers in spikes - therefore not
Cymbalaria; flowers spurless (and leaves broad) - therefore not
Linaria).

Photographed at the end of September

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6380a.JPG

I think it's ivy-leaved toadflax, a common wild flower.

Pam in Bristol
Old 13-12-2011, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
wrote:

I think it's some type of Antirrhinum (flowers in spikes - therefore not
Cymbalaria; flowers spurless (and leaves broad) - therefore not
Linaria).

Photographed at the end of September

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6380a.JPG

I think it's ivy-leaved toadflax, a common wild flower.

It's not Cymbalaria muralis (ivy-leaved toadflax): I not only know that
species, but have it growing as a weed in my garden and allotment.

One reason for it not being a Cymbalaria was given above. Apart from
that the leaves are wrong for Cymbalaria muralis. (It's close enough to
a Cymbalaria to cause one to consider that genus.)

When you read the rest of the thread you'll find that it was identified
as Chaenorhinum origanifolium (Malling toadflax), a rare wild and
infrequent garden plant.

Pam in Bristol

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley