Old 10-12-2011, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Labiate ID

I think it's some type of Antirrhinum (flowers in spikes - therefore not
Cymbalaria; flowers spurless (and leaves broad) - therefore not
Linaria).

Photographed at the end of September

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6380a.JPG
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-12-2011, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/12/2011 19:51, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I think it's some type of Antirrhinum (flowers in spikes - therefore not
Cymbalaria; flowers spurless (and leaves broad) - therefore not
Linaria).

Photographed at the end of September

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6380a.JPG

Not sure, but a bit confused.

Subject is "Labiate ID". But if it's an Antirrhinum, then it's
Plantaginacae (or a Scrof in £.s.d...), not a labiate (Lamiacaea).

Or have I got that completely wrong?

--

Jeff
Old 10-12-2011, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
On 10/12/2011 19:51, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I think it's some type of Antirrhinum (flowers in spikes - therefore not
Cymbalaria; flowers spurless (and leaves broad) - therefore not
Linaria).

Photographed at the end of September

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6380a.JPG

Not sure, but a bit confused.

Subject is "Labiate ID". But if it's an Antirrhinum, then it's
Plantaginacae (or a Scrof in £.s.d...), not a labiate (Lamiacaea).

Or have I got that completely wrong?

Sorry - thinko - I meant Lamiales.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-12-2011, 10:29 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
On 10/12/2011 19:51, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I think it's some type of Antirrhinum (flowers in spikes - therefore not
Cymbalaria; flowers spurless (and leaves broad) - therefore not
Linaria).

Photographed at the end of September

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6380a.JPG

Not sure, but a bit confused.

Subject is "Labiate ID". But if it's an Antirrhinum, then it's
Plantaginacae (or a Scrof in £.s.d...), not a labiate (Lamiacaea).

Or have I got that completely wrong?
Showing my ignorance here. Are there any antirrhinum that colour?
Must admit I'd have gone for Cymbalaria, though leaves are wrong for any which occur wild in UK. Where was it?
__________________
Old 11-12-2011, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , kay
writes

'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote:
;943682']On 10/12/2011 19:51, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:-
I think it's some type of Antirrhinum (flowers in spikes - therefore
not

Cymbalaria; flowers spurless (and leaves broad) - therefore not
Linaria).

Photographed at the end of September

http://tinyurl.com/d54f4fo-

Not sure, but a bit confused.

Subject is "Labiate ID". But if it's an Antirrhinum, then it's
Plantaginacae (or a Scrof in £.s.d...), not a labiate (Lamiacaea).

Or have I got that completely wrong?

Showing my ignorance here. Are there any antirrhinum that colour?
Must admit I'd have gone for Cymbalaria, though leaves are wrong for
any
which occur wild in UK.

Cymbalaria was my first thought. I found photos of half the species
(muralis, pallida, aequitriloba, hepaticifolia) and the foliage doesn't
match any of those. More importantly, fide Wikipedia, Cymbalaria has
"flowers borne singly rather than in dense erect spikes".

Where was it?

In a rockery in a botanic garden.

--
kay

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 11-12-2011, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/12/2011 20:30, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In , Jeff Layman
writes
On 10/12/2011 19:51, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I think it's some type of Antirrhinum (flowers in spikes - therefore not
Cymbalaria; flowers spurless (and leaves broad) - therefore not
Linaria).

Photographed at the end of September

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6380a.JPG

Not sure, but a bit confused.

Subject is "Labiate ID". But if it's an Antirrhinum, then it's
Plantaginacae (or a Scrof in £.s.d...), not a labiate (Lamiacaea).

Or have I got that completely wrong?

Sorry - thinko - I meant Lamiales.

OK.

I thought it might actually be a Cymbalaria, but believe you are right
that it isn't one. The likely suspects here
http://luirig.altervista.org/flora/cymbalaria.htm have the wrong leaf
form (never mind the flowers!).

--

Jeff
Old 11-12-2011, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Dec 11, 9:37*am, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/12/2011 20:30, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In , Jeff Layman
*writes
On 10/12/2011 19:51, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I think it's some type of Antirrhinum (flowers in spikes - therefore not
Cymbalaria; flowers spurless (and leaves broad) - therefore not
Linaria).

Photographed at the end of September

* * * *http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6380a.JPG

Not sure, but a bit confused.

Subject is "Labiate ID". But if it's an Antirrhinum, then it's
Plantaginacae (or a Scrof in £.s.d...), not a labiate (Lamiacaea).

Or have I got that completely wrong?

Sorry - thinko - I meant Lamiales.

OK.

I thought it might actually be a Cymbalaria, but believe you are right
that it isn't one. *The likely suspects herehttp://luirig.altervista.org/flora/cymbalaria.htmhave the wrong leaf
form (never mind the flowers!).

--

Jeff- Hide quoted text -

This is haunting me, I feel I should know it.
Fleshy leaf making me think it grows in a fairly dry area.
Hairs to prevent to much water loss by wind.
Low growing, an exposed habitat?
Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Dave
Hill writes
On Dec 11, 9:37*am, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/12/2011 20:30, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In , Jeff Layman
*writes
On 10/12/2011 19:51, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I think it's some type of Antirrhinum (flowers in spikes - therefore not
Cymbalaria; flowers spurless (and leaves broad) - therefore not
Linaria).

Photographed at the end of September

* * * *http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6380a.JPG

Not sure, but a bit confused.

Subject is "Labiate ID". But if it's an Antirrhinum, then it's
Plantaginacae (or a Scrof in £.s.d...), not a labiate (Lamiacaea).

Or have I got that completely wrong?

Sorry - thinko - I meant Lamiales.

OK.

I thought it might actually be a Cymbalaria, but believe you are right
that it isn't one. *The likely suspects
herehttp://luirig.altervista.org/flora/cymbalaria.htmhave the wrong leaf
form (never mind the flowers!).

--

Jeff- Hide quoted text -

This is haunting me, I feel I should know it.
Fleshy leaf making me think it grows in a fairly dry area.
Hairs to prevent to much water loss by wind.
Low growing, an exposed habitat?

The nearest match I've found is Antirrhinum pertegasii, but that has
blunt or emarginate leaf apices. If I hadn't seen Antirrhinum
sempervirens in the Alpine House there I might have thought that was it.

That assuming that I'm not missing something when identifying it as an
Antirrhinum, but I doesn't seem to fit Cymbalaria, Linaria, Asarina or
Maurandya, and nothing else comes to mind as an alternative.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 11-12-2011, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 20:19:45 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message
, Dave
Hill writes
On Dec 11, 9:37*am, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/12/2011 20:30, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In , Jeff Layman
*writes
On 10/12/2011 19:51, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I think it's some type of Antirrhinum (flowers in spikes - therefore not
Cymbalaria; flowers spurless (and leaves broad) - therefore not
Linaria).

Photographed at the end of September

* * * *http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6380a.JPG

Not sure, but a bit confused.

Subject is "Labiate ID". But if it's an Antirrhinum, then it's
[...]

I'm a total philistine here but something is screaming begonia at me.
Why I know not. The flower form might be metallica but the leaves are
not right. Now I'm getting bugged! Reference books will come off
shelves in droves unless someone comes up with the answer very soon!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling (after the first frost) from
the dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Dec 11, 8:19*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
, Dave
Hill writes

On Dec 11, 9:37*am, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/12/2011 20:30, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In , Jeff Layman
*writes
On 10/12/2011 19:51, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I think it's some type of Antirrhinum (flowers in spikes - therefore not
Cymbalaria; flowers spurless (and leaves broad) - therefore not
Linaria).

Photographed at the end of September

* * * *http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6380a.JPG

Not sure, but a bit confused.

Subject is "Labiate ID". But if it's an Antirrhinum, then it's
[...]

Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

The flower is totaly wrong for an Antirrhinum

Old 11-12-2011, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Dave
Hill writes
On Dec 11, 8:19*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message
, Dave
Hill writes

On Dec 11, 9:37*am, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 10/12/2011 20:30, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In , Jeff Layman
*writes
On 10/12/2011 19:51, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
I think it's some type of Antirrhinum (flowers in spikes -
therefore not
Cymbalaria; flowers spurless (and leaves broad) - therefore not
Linaria).

Photographed at the end of September

* * * *http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/IMG_6380a.JPG

Not sure, but a bit confused.

Subject is "Labiate ID". But if it's an Antirrhinum, then it's
[...]

OK. I've looked at some more genera (e.g. Misopates).

It looks as if it's Chaenorhinum origanifolium, possibly the cultivar
'Blue Dream'. Doesn't look all that much like Chaenorhinum minus, which
I occasionally see in the wild (it has an affinity for gravel around
electricity substations).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 11-12-2011, 10:49 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
In a rockery in a botanic garden.
[color=blue][i]
Could be almost anything then ;-)
I've looked through my Mediterranean floras and not found it. That doesn't really help, does it? Please let us know if you find out what it is.
__________________
Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/12/2011 22:18, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

(snip)

OK. I've looked at some more genera (e.g. Misopates).

It looks as if it's Chaenorhinum origanifolium, possibly the cultivar
'Blue Dream'. Doesn't look all that much like Chaenorhinum minus, which
I occasionally see in the wild (it has an affinity for gravel around
electricity substations).

Chaenorhinum origanifolium looks a pretty good match.

--

Jeff
Old 12-12-2011, 09:19 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
On 11/12/2011 22:18, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

(snip)

OK. I've looked at some more genera (e.g. Misopates).

It looks as if it's Chaenorhinum origanifolium, possibly the cultivar
'Blue Dream'. Doesn't look all that much like Chaenorhinum minus, which
I occasionally see in the wild (it has an affinity for gravel around
electricity substations).

Chaenorhinum origanifolium looks a pretty good match.
I new one on me, so I googled. Aka Malling toadflax, has been growing near West Malling since about 1880, also known from 9 other sites.

And also grown as a garden plant.
__________________
Old 12-12-2011, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Dec 12, 9:19*pm, kay wrote:
'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote:

;943957']On 11/12/2011 22:18, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

(snip)
-

OK. I've looked at some more genera (e.g. Misopates).

It looks as if it's Chaenorhinum origanifolium, possibly the cultivar
'Blue Dream'. Doesn't look all that much like Chaenorhinum minus,
which
I occasionally see in the wild (it has an affinity for gravel around
electricity substations).-

Chaenorhinum origanifolium looks a pretty good match.

I new one on me, so I googled. Aka Malling toadflax, has been growing
near West Malling since about 1880, also known from 9 other sites.

And also grown as a garden plant.

--
kay

Well that's put me out of my misery, I had it a few years ago but lost
it first winter.