Old 18-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.
Default Libertia 'Taupo Sunset'

Hi, do any of you have any experience of growing this plant from seed ? as to if it comes true from seed ? I grow loads of Libertia grandiflora with no trouble (which does incredibly well in very exposed coastal sites) but this relatively new stunning form with its red winter foliage was very popular. I managed to split the remaining 8 plants i had left, so i now have quite a few for next season but was wondering if anyone had grown this from seed ? as those remaining eight have produced alot of seed ! I'm not sure wether or not it is protected by 'breeders rights' If successful, it may have to now be ' Cornish Sunset' HaHaHa !!
lannerman.
Old 18-12-2011, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , lannerman.963b0b7
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Hi, do any of you have any experience of growing this plant from seed ?
as to if it comes true from seed ? I grow loads of Libertia grandiflora
with no trouble (which does incredibly well in very exposed coastal
sites) but this relatively new stunning form with its red winter foliage
was very popular. I managed to split the remaining 8 plants i had left,
so i now have quite a few for next season but was wondering if anyone
had grown this from seed ? as those remaining eight have produced alot
of seed ! I'm not sure wether or not it is protected by 'breeders
rights' If successful, it may have to now be ' Cornish Sunset' HaHaHa

I haven't seen LTS, sounds good!

"Plant Breeders? Rights do not extend to any act done for private and
non-commercial purposes "

http://fera.defra.gov.uk/plants/plan...Rights/documen
ts/pbrHandbookSept10.pdf

Janet
Old 18-12-2011, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2011-12-18 12:46:09 +0000, lannerman
said:

Hi, do any of you have any experience of growing this plant from seed ?
as to if it comes true from seed ? I grow loads of Libertia grandiflora
with no trouble (which does incredibly well in very exposed coastal
sites) but this relatively new stunning form with its red winter foliage
was very popular. I managed to split the remaining 8 plants i had left,
so i now have quite a few for next season but was wondering if anyone
had grown this from seed ? as those remaining eight have produced alot
of seed ! I'm not sure wether or not it is protected by 'breeders
rights' *If successful, it may have to now be ' Cornish Sunset' HaHaHa
!!
lannerman.

We don't grow that one - though I'm going to suggest it - but PBR won't
apply to you growing a few for your own garden.

Immediate correction! Having said we don't grow it, Raymond had a
re-think and said "of course we do!" *And yes, it should come true from
seed, if it hasn't 'bred' with any of your others. *We get ours as seed
from Jelitto. Presumably it's named after Lake Taupo in NZ.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Would Plant Breders Rights apply to plants raised from seed obtained
from the plants?
No garantee that they would be 100% true to type.
Old 18-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post

On 2011-12-18 12:46:09 +0000, lannerman
said:

[...]

Thanks for the replies, I wouldnt think that it has inter-bred with any of my existing Libertia as most leave the nursery before flowering!
My question regarding the PBR was valid as I do sell them. I have only about 60 from division (from stock bought from a nursey as small liners) but as has been suggested, if I change the name at point of sale, does this infringe PBR ?
As well as this very attractive foliage, this variety has stunning, slightly larger single pure white flowers and is, as the other Libertias, very hardy and extremely salt wind tolerant. It has done very well down at Sennen (close to Lands End) at the back of a very exposed beach in poor soil.
Regards, Lannerman.