Old 21-12-2011, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Dog Hobble

At The Range today I got a very nice plant of Leucothoe Axillaris
'Curly Red'
Looking it up this evening I see its common name is Dog Hobble,
How did this name for it come about?
Does any one know?
David
Old 21-12-2011, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Dave
Hill writes
Leucothoe

This is from a girl whose goats were poisoned by it and couldn't stand
straight so presumably also poisonous to dogs?

http://www.goatworld.com/health/plants/doghobble.shtml
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 21-12-2011, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 2c13f9e7-41e8-48bb-8a69-
,
says...

At The Range today I got a very nice plant of Leucothoe Axillaris
'Curly Red'
Looking it up this evening I see its common name is Dog Hobble,
How did this name for it come about?
Does any one know?
David

Probably descriptive of effect, it's toxic to cats horses and dogs

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison...og-hobble.aspx

quote

Dog Hobble

Additional Common Names:
Dog Laurel, Fetter Bush, Black Laurel
Scientific Name:
Leucothoe sp.
Family:
Ericaceae
Toxicity:
Toxic to Horses, Toxic to Cats, Toxic to Dogs
Toxic Principles:
Grayanotoxins
Clinical Signs:
Vomiting, diarrhea, depression, cardiovascular collapse,
hypersalivation, weakness, coma, low blood pressure, death. Ingestion of a
few leaves can cause serious problems.

end quote

Janet