Old 23-01-2003, 03:52 PM
Beecrofter

Default Best Grass for an Active Dog?

Sunny yard. Atlanta area. Very active dog who has torn up the (already
sparse) yard at my new (15 year old) house during the course of endless
frisbee and tennis ball chasing.

Thoughts? Opinions? Wanna help me prep the soil and lay sod sometime in
May?

KB

There aren't any .

Best bet would be to divide the yard and let one side heal while the
other side is abused.
Old 23-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Kyle Boatright

I have a yard, not a pasture! ;-)

Seriously, I think I'm doomed, but hate the idea of a muddy back yard for
the next decade.

KB
om...

Old 23-01-2003, 05:11 PM
animaux

Bring the dog to a park? Bermuda is a very tough turf, but it would help.

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 17:02:43 GMT, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

I have a yard, not a pasture! ;-)

Seriously, I think I'm doomed, but hate the idea of a muddy back yard for
the next decade.

KB
. com...

Old 23-01-2003, 08:20 PM
zhanataya

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:29:55 GMT, "Cereoid+10"
wrote:

Try Astroturf!!!!

If anyone is keeping score I vote for the Astroturf and V's suggestion
of the park.

zhan

Old 23-01-2003, 09:10 PM
madgard

astro turf on play side......nailed with spikes to keep in
place.............nope, I grow flowers and perennials, not
lawn................... madgardener

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..
Facts...

Sunny yard. Atlanta area. Very active dog who has torn up the (already
sparse) yard at my new (15 year old) house during the course of endless
frisbee and tennis ball chasing.

What's the most resilient grass for wear? Zoysia? Bermuda? I know

Zoysia
is more expensive, and heals slower, but have the impression that it may

be
tougher than Bermuda. Forget Fescue. Too fragile, and won't fill back in
after damage.

Old 23-01-2003, 09:58 PM
Dave Gower

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

What's the most resilient grass for wear?

I have two active dogs and was told to look for grasses that propagate from
the roots readily - there are several kinds, depending on your climate.

Wanna help me prep the soil and lay sod sometime in May?

Only if you'll come and help me with my rock garden ;)

Old 23-01-2003, 10:07 PM
kate

Bermuda has survived my dog (and I) for the past 6 years of throwing the
ball, throwing the ball, throwing the ball.....

(Is it really possible to kill Bermuda grass?)

Kate

Facts...

Old 24-01-2003, 12:07 PM
bryan lafleur

Bermuda is the toughest, but dont expect anything living to hold up
well under those conditions, the ground gets too compacted. Aerating,
and topdressing with compost if its not too large, a couple times of
year would help.

Bryan

Old 24-01-2003, 04:00 PM
Wendy B G

Very active dog who has torn up the (already
sparse) yard at my new (15 year old) house during the course of endless
frisbee and tennis ball chasing.

You might want to lay down concrete pavers that have an open grid pattern. The
dogs run on the concrete. The grass grows in the holes.

E.P. Henry Turf Pavers are one brand.
http://www.ephenry.com/store/product...120&pf%5Fid=tp

Wendy

Old 24-01-2003, 05:16 PM
LeeAnne

Hey that stuff's neat!! How do you install it - shred up an area, put them
down and then plant seed?

Thanks
LeeAnne

Old 24-01-2003, 10:53 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Tom Jaszewski contains these words:

We have large turf areas roamed by tigers. Adequate organics turned
into the soil along with compost tea treatments and we are actually
getting the grass to grow and replace less.

But captive tigers just pad about, they don't skid around at high
speed, tearing up turf, like dogs do :-) Do tigers dig a hole to poo,
like cats?

Janet

Old 25-01-2003, 03:38 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 22:53:50 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Tom Jaszewski contains these words:

We have large turf areas roamed by tigers. Adequate organics turned
into the soil along with compost tea treatments and we are actually
getting the grass to grow and replace less.

But captive tigers just pad about, they don't skid around at high
speed, tearing up turf, like dogs do :-) Do tigers dig a hole to poo,
like cats?

Janet

Ever had a cat? now try a 600 pounder, far more energy than any
dog....

Regards,

tomj

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution.
Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."

- Thomas Edison
Old 25-01-2003, 02:25 PM
animaux

wrote:

The message
from Tom Jaszewski contains these words:

We have large turf areas roamed by tigers. Adequate organics turned
into the soil along with compost tea treatments and we are actually
getting the grass to grow and replace less.

But captive tigers just pad about, they don't skid around at high
speed, tearing up turf, like dogs do :-) Do tigers dig a hole to poo,
like cats?

Janet

The big cats weigh over 500 pounds. Sometimes as much as 700, so apples and
oranges.