Old 26-12-2011, 12:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

Default What is it?

The berries look like cotoneaster, but the leaves don't.
http://tinypic.com/r/20hq8tv/5

thanks, NT
Old 26-12-2011, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, NT
writes
The berries look like cotoneaster, but the leaves don't.
http://tinypic.com/r/20hq8tv/5

Cotoneaster is a diverse genus. That could be something on the lines of
Cotoneaster x watereri or Cotoneaster lacteus (Cotoneaster frigidus is
said to be deciduous).

thanks, NT

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 26-12-2011, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 NT wrote:

The berries look like cotoneaster, but the leaves don't.
http://tinypic.com/r/20hq8tv/5

One of the viburnums.

David
http://rance.org.uk

Old 26-12-2011, 01:39 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT View Post
The berries look like cotoneaster, but the leaves don't.
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

thanks, NT
there's lots of species of Cotoneaster. Have you googled on, eg, C lacteus?
__________________
Old 26-12-2011, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 16:07:30 -0800 (PST), NT
wrote:

The berries look like cotoneaster, but the leaves don't.
http://tinypic.com/r/20hq8tv/5

thanks, NT

There are several cotoneasters that have large leaves and a few that
have broad large leaves, such as cornubia. Someone else has suggested
viburnum but AFAIK, at this time of year, the only ones bearing
berries wouldn't bear such green leaves - I'm assuming a current
photo.

The age and size of the bush this cutting came from will help to
narrow down the species.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay
because Santa's delivered a new weather station
so now I'll know how dry it is when it stops raining!

Old 26-12-2011, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 15:35:22 +0000, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

The age and size of the bush this cutting came from will help to
narrow down the species.

And before others scream, I meant to say "variety", not "species"

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 27-12-2011, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

wrote:

The berries look like cotoneaster, but the leaves don't.
http://tinypic.com/r/20hq8tv/5

thanks, NT

There are several cotoneasters that have large leaves and a few that
have broad large leaves, such as cornubia. Someone else has suggested
viburnum but AFAIK, at this time of year, the only ones bearing
berries wouldn't bear such green leaves - I'm assuming a current
photo.

The age and size of the bush this cutting came from will help to
narrow down the species.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay
because Santa's delivered a new weather station
so now I'll know how dry it is when it stops raining!

Thanks everyone. The pic is current, and looks like cotoneaster
lacteus to me.

NT