Old 02-01-2012, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moles in Winter

I'm looking after a garden for a friend at the moment.

There's a very large, very damp, and very uneven area of grass -- not
exactly lawn, but as near as they come to having a play lawn.

This patch is inhabited by a mole or few. When I was cutting the grass
in the season, the mole hills got regularly knocked down and amalgamated
(to some extent) by the action of the rode-on mower.

Now that we're in winter, I just noticed today that the molehills are
getting rather big.

Any advice on what to do with the molehills (and even the moles!). Do I
just leave them until Spring, and knock em down again with the mower, or
should I be taking action now?

Thanks a lot in anticipation,
John
Old 02-01-2012, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Another John" wrote

I'm looking after a garden for a friend at the moment.

There's a very large, very damp, and very uneven area of grass -- not
exactly lawn, but as near as they come to having a play lawn.

This patch is inhabited by a mole or few. When I was cutting the grass
in the season, the mole hills got regularly knocked down and amalgamated
(to some extent) by the action of the rode-on mower.

Now that we're in winter, I just noticed today that the molehills are
getting rather big.

Any advice on what to do with the molehills (and even the moles!). Do I
just leave them until Spring, and knock em down again with the mower, or
should I be taking action now?

The old Head Gardeners used to send the boy out with a bucket to collect
molehills for use in making up potting mixture. Good stuff by all accounts.
Personally I'd rake them flat before mowing, or even now, the grass will
soon grow through.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for all replies so far! I'll get me rake...

John
Old 02-01-2012, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Another John" wrote in message
Thanks for all replies so far! I'll get me rake...

It works. For a while. Unfortunately you might have have to go down the
road of the mole trap if they bother you too much.
Luckily all my moles are in the field at the bottom of my garden atm.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 2, 4:02*pm, Another John wrote:
I'm looking after a garden for a friend at the moment.

There's a very large, very damp, and very uneven area of grass -- not
exactly lawn, but as near as they come to having a play lawn.

This patch is inhabited by a mole or few. *When I was cutting the grass
in the season, the mole hills got regularly knocked down and amalgamated
(to some extent) by the action of the rode-on mower.

Now that we're in winter, I just noticed today that the molehills are
getting rather big.

Any advice on what to do with the molehills (and even the moles!). *Do I
just leave them until Spring, and knock em down again with the mower, or
should I be taking action now?

Thanks a lot in anticipation,
John

Infernal combustion engine plus hose pipe. Connect exhaust to
moleholes. Run for half an hour.
Make sure engine doesn't overheat.
Or CO2 fire extinguisher.

Mole traps need a special technique BTW

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
Moles ROY MCMASTER Australia 4 17-04-2003 01:08 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Moles VS Voles smitty48 Edible Gardening 3 22-03-2003 08:44 PM
How do you get rid of moles without traps Susan E Desjardins Edible Gardening 18 18-03-2003 06:44 PM