Old 06-01-2012, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garlic question

I bought some garlic to plant some weeks ago and forgot about it.
It is sprouting now so should I plant it as it is or remove the green
shoots?

Thanks.
Baz
Old 06-01-2012, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
I bought some garlic to plant some weeks ago and forgot about it.
It is sprouting now so should I plant it as it is or remove the green
shoots?

Thanks.
Baz

Plant it as is. Most people would break it up into individual cloves, but
I'm told you can also get good results from planting the bolb whole. Either
way, leave the shoots on.
Steve

Old 06-01-2012, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Baz wrote:

I bought some garlic to plant some weeks ago and forgot about it.
It is sprouting now so should I plant it as it is or remove the green
shoots?

Plant it. If you remove the green shoots, you will almost certainly
kill it, because of the way it grows.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
I bought some garlic to plant some weeks ago and forgot about it.
It is sprouting now so should I plant it as it is or remove the green
shoots?

Thanks.
Baz

Plant it as is. Most people would break it up into individual cloves,
but I'm told you can also get good results from planting the bolb
whole. Either way, leave the shoots on.
Steve

Thanks shazzbat,
I already broke it up into cloves. But will plant it with shoots on.

Thanks again.
Baz

Old 06-01-2012, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Baz wrote:

I have limited space, now I have planned the rest of veg. for my garden.
Would garlic be ok. in a partial sun position?

Yes, though it's not ideal. In the UK, far more light is
indirect than most people realise.

Just hope that you don't have white rot in your soil :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote:

I'm told you can also get good results from planting the bolb whole.

If you plant the whole bulb, you'll get a bunch of little plants; good for
garlic scallions, but not for big bulbs.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
I bought some garlic to plant some weeks ago and forgot about it.
It is sprouting now so should I plant it as it is or remove the green
shoots?

Plant as is, as far as I know. That's what I always do. If you remove the
green shoot, I suspect it wouldn't grow! (Ready to be corrected, though)

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Garlic question George.com Gardening 7 08-04-2007 07:58 PM
Garlic question Mary Fisher United Kingdom 9 28-07-2006 11:16 PM
chives/garlic question? jamie Texas 2 20-04-2004 04:07 AM