Old 15-01-2012, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bird questions

In the summer we had a robin in residence in our garden. Now it (or another
one) seems to show up for a day or two and can then be gone for weeks. Are
they territorial for only part of the year?

Another puzzle is why dozens and dozens of startlings were hanging about in
trees near us yesterday. Surely not going anywhere in particular at this
time of year?

Old 15-01-2012, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:51:52 -0000, "john east"
wrote:

In the summer we had a robin in residence in our garden. Now it (or another
one) seems to show up for a day or two and can then be gone for weeks. Are
they territorial for only part of the year?

Another puzzle is why dozens and dozens of startlings were hanging about in
trees near us yesterday. Surely not going anywhere in particular at this
time of year?

Here the garden can be like a Hitchcock film one day and bird-free the
next. Birds are like that - if there's a sudden appearance of a food
source they prefer then they'll go for it. I think Robins only get
territorial if food is scarce - there are usually 3 or 4 in the garden
here and I don't have acres (not even one acre).

The "startlings" are probably congregating to startle people (sorry,
couldn't resist that). Again, IME, they congregate on a tree in the
farm next door and a single bird will visit the garden and gorge
itself. Then it flies back to the tree and the whole flock descends.
So your congregation could be the same - they're waiting for the scout
to come back and lead them to the food source.

One hint though: don't walk underneath those trees or you'll probably
get really startled!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 15-01-2012, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 15, 7:59*pm, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article , says...

In the summer we had a robin in residence in our garden. *Now it (or another
one) seems to show up for a day or two and can then be gone for weeks. *Are
they territorial for only part of the year?

Another puzzle is why dozens and dozens of startlings were hanging about in
trees near us yesterday. Surely not going anywhere in particular at this
time of year?

Starlings tend to congregate in the afternoons before flying off to
their roost. You must have seen clips of their displays on the TV, which
are spectacular. Currently one of the most spectacular roosts in Wales
is under the pier at Aberyswyth. Must try and get up there sometime!

You can google for clips if you need to.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Robins are teritorial allyear round, if food is plentifull then their
teritory may be small. Remember that robins tend to move south for the
winter, so the ones you have may have come from scandinavia,
Starlings do flock and if they se one of their number going in for
food others quickly follow, though here we see a fraction of the
numbers we used to.
Again Starlings also move south for the winter, so again we have
northern birds with us.