Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-01-2012, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bulbs in pots from Lidl

Just bought some bulbs in little pots from Lidl.
The instructions on the plastic tags are in Euro-pictures and don't really
convey much.
For Hyacinthus Orientalis Blue Star:

Picture of sun - full sun
{Flower} IX-IV - flowering from September to April
Height 20-30cms
Knife and fork crossed out - do not eat (darn).

Now the natural habitat for spring bulbs is generally cold wet ground and
these bulbs are three to a small tin bucket.
Small in that the three bulbs fill the top.
The pot is roughly 4" high and 4.25" diameter.
So there isn't that much growing medium for three large bulbs.

Given that the bulbs provide a store of nutrients but (I assume) not enough
water to grow a new plant I also assume that frequent watering will be
required.

Any idea if it is possible to over water?
My first thoughts are that they are used to growing in pretty waterlogged
conditions anyway so overwatering is probably less of a risk than
underwatering.

Not that watering is easy because the compost is proving difficult to wet.

So any guidance to growing spring bulbs indoors?

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Lidl garden shredder Ian United Kingdom 36 29-02-2008 10:02 PM
Packaging Stupidity. Was: Lidl's seeds Amos E Wolfe United Kingdom 25 25-02-2004 05:38 PM
Packaging Stupidity. Was: Lidl's seeds Amos E Wolfe United Kingdom 0 18-02-2004 05:02 AM
Lidl's seeds David Hill United Kingdom 9 15-02-2004 09:29 PM
Cheap and interesting seeds in Lidl Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 09-02-2004 03:37 PM