Old 09-09-2003, 08:48 AM
Ian

Default Lidl garden shredder

Hi,

Has anyone any views or experience of the Parkside garden shredder
that Lidl has on offer this week for 79.99? Seems to be quite a
powerful model for a cheap price.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p...arden_Shredder

2500 watt motor with motor brake
Switch-plug combination device with an overload protector and
restarting interlock
Cutting device with interchangeable knives made from hardened special
steel for extra-fine shredding material
No tools needed to open shredder for maintenance and repairs
Safety loading funnel for branches of up to 4cm diameter
Made in Germany

Thanks,
Ian
Old 09-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Herald

Ian wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone any views or experience of the Parkside garden shredder
that Lidl has on offer this week for 79.99? Seems to be quite a
powerful model for a cheap price.

Yes I have, don't bother!
We bought one of these, and the fist decent sized stick we put in it
came flying out of the side of the machine!
Basically the inside is only plastic, no metal sheath, and it couldn't
take the impact. Luckily, it came out the side _away_ from the
operator! Also, the safety catch was badly glued and came away, so we
couldn't even get it to work till we took it to bits and reglued it!

I guess if you're only ever going to shred privet trimmings it might be
okay, but anything remotely tough I wouldn't recommend.

Of course, we might have just been unlucky, but it seems with Shredders
you get what you pay for.

Regards

Herald

Old 10-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Ian

Herald wrote in message ...
Ian wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the feedback - I think I'll stay clear. In fact, the more I
think about it, the more I am inclined to just hire one for a weekend
to see how I get on.

Cheers,
Ian
Old 11-09-2003, 01:26 AM
Michael Berridge

. ..

http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/index.nsf/p....p.Garden_Shre

dder

2500 watt motor with motor brake
Switch-plug combination device with an overload protector and
restarting interlock
Cutting device with interchangeable knives made from hardened special
steel for extra-fine shredding material
No tools needed to open shredder for maintenance and repairs
Safety loading funnel for branches of up to 4cm diameter
Made in Germany

Much better to get a shredder that has a worm drive to pull the material
in and crush it rather than knives. I changed and have never had to stop
my new shredder due to a blockage, but was regularly stopping and
clearing out the first one.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 11-09-2003, 08:17 AM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 00:43:17 +0100, "Michael Berridge"
wrote:

Much better to get a shredder that has a worm drive to pull the material
in and crush it rather than knives. I changed and have never had to stop
my new shredder due to a blockage, but was regularly stopping and
clearing out the first one.

Can you recommend a make please Mike?
I've heard similar advice.

Pam in Bristol

Old 11-09-2003, 09:32 AM
bigboard

wrote:

Much better to get a shredder that has a worm drive to pull the material
in and crush it rather than knives. I changed and have never had to stop
my new shredder due to a blockage, but was regularly stopping and
clearing out the first one.

Can you recommend a make please Mike?
I've heard similar advice.

Pam in Bristol

Mine's a Bosch 2000 and I can heartily recomend it. Quiet, efficient and
powerful. My garden's starting to look a bit bare as I'm gettting
strangely addicted to shredding!

Old 11-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Mark Fawcett

wrote:

Much better to get a shredder that has a worm drive to pull the material
in and crush it rather than knives. I changed and have never had to stop
my new shredder due to a blockage, but was regularly stopping and
clearing out the first one.

Can you recommend a make please Mike?
I've heard similar advice.

Pam in Bristol

Mine's a Bosch 2000 and I can heartily recomend it. Quiet, efficient and
powerful. My garden's starting to look a bit bare as I'm gettting
strangely addicted to shredding!

I know that feeling, I have a Bosch 2000 as well and I find myself
considering coppicing some of the small trees along my boundary just
to provide material of the right size. Its some how so satisfying
feeding those branches in to it and getting loads of mulching material
out! Maybe I need a holiday.......
Old 11-09-2003, 02:12 PM
Pam Moore

Is there any argument for or against petrol or electricity?
I would only use one at my allotment, however quiet! Garden too
small! So I'd need a petrol-driven one.

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Franz Heymann

wrote:

Much better to get a shredder that has a worm drive to pull the material
in and crush it rather than knives. I changed and have never had to stop
my new shredder due to a blockage, but was regularly stopping and
clearing out the first one.

Can you recommend a make please Mike?
I've heard similar advice.

Pam in Bristol

Mine's a Bosch 2000 and I can heartily recomend it. Quiet, efficient and
powerful. My garden's starting to look a bit bare as I'm gettting
strangely addicted to shredding!

Do you put out all the shredded stuff immediately as a mulch? If so, do you
water it with a bit of nitrogenous fertiliser to overcome the nitrogen
shortage which this is supposed to cause?

Franz

Old 11-09-2003, 04:03 PM
bigboard

Franz Heymann wrote:
"bigboard" wrote in message

Mine's a Bosch 2000 and I can heartily recomend it. Quiet, efficient and
powerful. My garden's starting to look a bit bare as I'm gettting
strangely addicted to shredding!

Do you put out all the shredded stuff immediately as a mulch? If so, do you
water it with a bit of nitrogenous fertiliser to overcome the nitrogen
shortage which this is supposed to cause?

No, I compost all my shreddings, mixed in with grass clippings to supply
the nitrogen. I freely admit my gardening is purely to supply my
composting addiction!

Old 11-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Natalie

No, I compost all my shreddings, mixed in with grass clippings to supply
the nitrogen. I freely admit my gardening is purely to supply my
composting addiction!

LOL

I have plenty of stuff that needs pruning and shredding at school....feel
free to contact me if you run out of stuff at home ;-)

Natalie

I have plenty of stuff that needs pruning and shredding at school....feel
free to contact me if you run out of stuff at home ;-)

Natalie

Don't tempt me, I'm sure I could compost desks!

Old 12-09-2003, 10:12 AM
martin

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:53:26 +0100, bigboard
wrote:

Don't tempt me, I'm sure I could compost desks!

and sheds?
--
Martin

When is a shredder not a shredder - when it's a crusher! Dave United Kingdom 1 11-09-2006 09:11 AM
Packaging Stupidity. Was: Lidl's seeds Amos E Wolfe United Kingdom 25 25-02-2004 05:38 PM
Packaging Stupidity. Was: Lidl's seeds Amos E Wolfe United Kingdom 0 18-02-2004 05:02 AM
Lidl's seeds David Hill United Kingdom 9 15-02-2004 09:29 PM
Cheap and interesting seeds in Lidl Steve Harris United Kingdom 3 09-02-2004 03:37 PM