Old 27-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered User

Default Camellia vernalis info

We spotted a fantastic Camellia at Wisely recently, labelled Camellia vernalis, and have not been able to find any information about this (including Jennifer Trehane's excellent book on Camellia). Does anyone know if this is perhaps a syn of another Camellia? It has large white semi-double flowers.

I have a photo of this, if this helps.
Old 27-01-2012, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

--
plantify.co.uk

Have you tried doing a Google search?
Old 28-01-2012, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-01-28 13:53:21 +0000, Chris said:

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:25:40 +0000, plantify.co.uk
wrote:

We spotted a fantastic Camellia at Wisely recently, labelled Camellia
vernalis, and have not been able to find any information about this
(including Jennifer Trehane's excellent book on Camellia). Does anyone
know if this is perhaps a syn of another Camellia? It has large white
semi-double flowers.

I have a photo of this, if this helps.

You haven't tried very hard! Jennifer Trehane mentions it on page 42
and there's loads of info if you Google for it.

Perhaps the query was to draw attention to Plantify?

Oooh, such cynicism... ;-)

--

Jeff
Old 28-01-2012, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We spotted a fantastic Camellia at Wisely recently, labelled Camellia
vernalis, and have not been able to find any information about this
(including Jennifer Trehane's excellent book on Camellia). Does anyone
know if this is perhaps a syn of another Camellia? It has large white
semi-double flowers.

I have a photo of this, if this helps.

You haven't tried very hard! Jennifer Trehane mentions it on page 42
and there's loads of info if you Google for it.

Perhaps the query was to draw attention to Plantify?

Oooh, such cynicism... ;-)

Not intentionally! According to the Charter, such information is allowable
here, as is adding info to a sig.file. It's just not welcome if it's
swamping us in adverts.
"Advertising
Advertising is not welcome, with the following exceptions:
Suppliers of UK-relevant gardening equipment, services or plant material
may post a pointer to their website or invitation to request a catalogue.
This may not exceed four lines. This may be posted no more often than once
every three months. The subject line should begin "AD" or "ADVERT".
Participants in discussions may include references to their garden-related
business in their .sig (max. four lines)."

--
Sacha
South Devon

There speaks the expert who milks it to the end :-(

Kindest POSSIBLE regards

Mike
On the South East Coast of the Isle of Wight

Old 30-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Registered User

We found out from Trehane that this is actually a naturally occurring hybrid between C. sasanqua and C. japonica (page 95). My mistake as I did not look properly for hybrids (as this is labelled as a species at Wisely). However I cannot find any other info from google other than a blank page on hortic.com and brief reference to a cultivar on burncoose. If anyone has verifiable sizes and flowering periods, let me know.

We have updated our info accordingly on our site. Apologies for the late reply on this forum (and thanks for the nice comments about the site - no ulterior motive was meant by the post!)