Old 31-01-2012, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hardy Amaryllis varieties?

I notice Dobies are selling "Hardy" Amaryllis varieties for planting outside
in pots or borders...

Balentino (red)
Helios (pale yellow)
Swan Lake (white)

BUT are they hardy, or more properly, where are they hardy?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 31-01-2012, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/01/2012 17:49, Bob Hobden wrote:
I notice Dobies are selling "Hardy" Amaryllis varieties for planting outside
in pots or borders...

Balentino (red)
Helios (pale yellow)
Swan Lake (white)

BUT are they hardy, or more properly, where are they hardy?

This is from
http://www.royalcolors.com/index.php...group_id&id=06

"These hardy and multiplying Amaryllis varieties produces 1-2 stems in
the first year, each with 3-4 flowers from 7-10 cm across. Great to grow
them in containers on your terrace or in groups in your flower beds.
Hardy till -10 deg. C. but you may also choose them to grow and enjoy it
indoors as a plant or as a cut flower."

Hardy to -10°C, eh? Do you believe that, Bob? I don't.

--

Jeff
Old 31-01-2012, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

This is fromhttp://www.royalcolors.com/index.php?nav=group_details&select=group_i...

"These hardy and multiplying Amaryllis varieties produces 1-2 stems in
the first year, each with 3-4 flowers from 7-10 cm across. Great to grow
them in containers on your terrace or in groups in your flower beds.
Hardy till -10 deg. C. but you may also choose them to grow and enjoy it
indoors as a plant or as a cut flower."

Hardy to -10°C, eh? *Do you believe that, Bob? *I don't.

--

Jeff

Reposting this from an American site
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56501/

PlantFiles: Hardy Amaryllis, St. Joseph's Lily
Hippeastrum x johnsonii

On Apr 2, 2011, davidisaturn from Austin, TX wrote:
This is an amazing bulb and it performs wonderfully here in central
Texas. I live in Austin and a friend from church gave me a couple of
bulbs about 8 years ago. They have multiplied and I never give them
any special care. They easily survived the 10+ days of freezing
weather (below 20 several days) this past winter and our summers are
often 100+. The person who gave me these called them St. Joseph's
Trumpet (maybe a colloquial reference?).

David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay
Old 31-01-2012, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/01/2012 20:24, Dave Hill wrote:
On Jan 31, 7:45 pm, Jeff wrote:
[...]

Yes, quite a few positive comments on that DavesGarden page. But I
remain unconvinced - US states which are much colder than what we
experience here also usually benefit from having an insulating layer of
deep snow. It's also interesting that Hippeastrum x johnsonii was bred
in the UK but has all but disappeared here (there are only 2 UK
suppliers according to the RHS Plantfinder). If it was hardy surely it
would merit a place in gardens here.

--

Jeff
Old 31-01-2012, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote
Dave Hill wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:

[...]

The "hardy" comment was why I posted the question, is it hardy in our sort
of wet fluctuating cold winters or in a Continental Climate type winter. I
have a friend that lives in SW France and they have seen -13°C on occasion
yet Oleander and similar plants thrive but I can't get them through a long
cold/wet winter here, even a mild one.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
The "hardy" comment was why I posted the question, is it hardy in our sort
of wet fluctuating cold winters or in a Continental Climate type winter. I
have a friend that lives in SW France and they have seen -13°C on occasion
yet Oleander and similar plants thrive but I can't get them through a long
cold/wet winter here, even a mild one.
Quite apart from that, amaryllis are incredibly attractive to slugs. Even if they did survive the winter, their shoots wouldn't survive the spring!