Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default RBG Kew yesterday

Took a few photos of Kew Gardens yesterday (10th Feb 2012) and their Orchid
Festival.
Seems to be all Phalaenopsis and Vandas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7629273634743/

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 11-02-2012, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Took a few photos of Kew Gardens yesterday (10th Feb 2012) and their
Orchid Festival.
Seems to be all Phalaenopsis and Vandas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobd...7629273634743/

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Lovely!

--

shirley x
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community

Old 11-02-2012, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

/Took a few photos of Kew Gardens yesterday (10th Feb 2012) and their Orchid
/Festival.
/Seems to be all Phalaenopsis and Vandas.
/
/http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobden/sets/72157629273634743/

I've only got enough room for a couple of phals on the windowsill. Nice pics
BTW any idea what the long tailed bird is on DSCN 1858?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Feb 11, 11:43*pm, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" *wrote in ...

/Took a few photos of Kew Gardens yesterday (10th Feb 2012) and their Orchid
/Festival.
/Seems to be all Phalaenopsis and Vandas.
/
/http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobden/sets/72157629273634743/

I've only got enough room for a couple of phals on the windowsill. Nice pics
BTW any idea what the long tailed bird is on DSCN 1858?

Nice set of pics Bob.
The bird looks like a Ring-Necked parakeet There is a flock of about
60 birds at Kew Gardens.
Dave Hill
Old 12-02-2012, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

On Feb 11, 11:43 pm, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in ...

/Took a few photos of Kew Gardens yesterday (10th Feb 2012) and their
Orchid
/Festival.
/Seems to be all Phalaenopsis and Vandas.
/
/http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobden/sets/72157629273634743/

I've only got enough room for a couple of phals on the windowsill. Nice
pics
BTW any idea what the long tailed bird is on DSCN 1858?

/
/Nice set of pics Bob.
/The bird looks like a Ring-Necked parakeet There is a flock of about
/60 birds at Kew Gardens.

Thanks Dave, I guess global warming is to blame.
We're all doomed, doomed.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote ...

I've only got enough room for a couple of phals on the windowsill. Nice
pics
BTW any idea what the long tailed bird is on DSCN 1858?

It's a Ringed Necked Parakeet, also known as the Surrey Parrot. They have
been in the Staines/Wraysbury area for decades and there was a flock
estimated at 4,000+ that used to roost at a rugby club in Esher that has
since changed roosting site as they do. We get them on our bird feeders
occasionally and hear/see them daily. Very difficult to see when the leaves
are on the trees, they do a lot of damage eating tree buds in winter.

Two legend how they got here...
1. The original one I heard. A bargee had a pair in a cage and one day the
barge started to sink so he let them out.
2. A flock were used in a film at Shepperton Studios, there was a fire and
someone opened the door.
Take your pick.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-02-2012, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

It's a Ringed Necked Parakeet, also known as the Surrey Parrot. They have
been in the Staines/Wraysbury area for decades and there was a flock
estimated at 4,000+ that used to roost at a rugby club in Esher that has
since changed roosting site as they do. We get them on our bird feeders
occasionally and hear/see them daily. Very difficult to see when the leaves
are on the trees, they do a lot of damage eating tree buds in winter.

Two legend how they got here...
1. The original one I heard. A bargee had a pair in a cage and one day the
barge started to sink so he let them out.
2. A flock were used in a film at Shepperton Studios, there was a fire and
someone opened the door.
Take your pick.

Thanks, just looked at the RSPB site. In addition to the tree buds, they eat
nuts, berries and fruit. As you say, 4000+ birds can be destructive.

Old 14-02-2012, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

There are some interesting videos with sound here....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Ros...Parakeet#intro

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-02-2012, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

"Bertie Doe" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote
[...]

/http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Rose-ringed_Parakeet#intro

Very tuneful, I can understand why some folk want to ring their necks -

Evening at RBG Kew Bob Hobden United Kingdom 3 16-06-2014 09:45 AM
Kew Gardens yesterday. Bob Hobden[_3_] Garden Photos 0 11-02-2012 05:58 PM
RBG Kew Bob Hobden Garden Photos 0 17-04-2007 11:04 PM
RBG Kew Bob Hobden Garden Photos 0 17-04-2007 11:03 PM
RBG Kew Bob Hobden Garden Photos 0 17-04-2007 11:03 PM