Old 23-02-2012, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default small chain saw

On 02/23/2012 12:25 PM, Bill Grey wrote:
"Emery Davis" wrote in message

Bear in mind if you go with the electric saw, every time the chain
touches earth it will get dull, right quickly.

Any chainsaw hitting earth, stones or other very hard object will dull very
quickly.

Well yes, of course I wasn't suggesting it was any different for a
petrol saw!

[]

Chainsaws should NOT/ be used above shoulder height in case of kick-back.

Tell it to a tree surgeon! But you're right in principal of course.

As for weight difference, there is hardly any difference in weight between a
16" petrol Chaisaw and an electric one. The lack of wieight of the engine
in an electric one is made up by the weight of the electric motor.

As I said I never use an electric chainsaw. But I do have an electric
hedge cutter, and it's much lighter than the equivalent-sized petrol one
I sometimes borrow.

The main cons are

The need to obtain and store petrol in the case of a petrol saw

The need to be fairly close to an electrical supply for an electric saw.

I find with the hedge cutter I worry about keeping the cable out of the
way, also.
Old 23-02-2012, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 02/23/2012 12:25 PM, Bill Grey wrote:
"Emery Davis" wrote in message
Chainsaws should NOT/ be used above shoulder height in case of
kick-back.

Tell it to a tree surgeon! But you're right in principal of course.

Complacency rules maybe!

Bill