Old 02-03-2012, 02:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cat manure in compost pile

Is there any reason not to put cat manure in a compost pile?

Dick

Old 02-03-2012, 03:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Is there any reason not to put cat manure in a compost pile?

Along with the associated litter?
I have not done so simply because I don't think it's a good idea to add to
my compost heap.
I don't have a cat that uses a litter box, atm, but when I had an ancient
girl who had to, I bagged it up and put it in the bin.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:04 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Adams[_2_] View Post
Is there any reason not to put cat manure in a compost pile?

Dick
1. Toxicara

2. generally, carnivores are more likely then herbivores to carry things which can be transmitted to us. So in that respect, cat poo is not the same as horse manure.

There again, your cats will be depositing across the garden. So if you scoop up a lump from where you're about to plant out some seedlings, it's academic as to whether you sling it on to the compost heap or into the hedge.

But I wouldn't put large amounts there - find some other way to dispose of the contents of the litter tray.
__________________
Old 02-03-2012, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Dick Adams wrote:

Is there any reason not to put cat manure in a compost pile?

Yes. Cats sometimes carry some nasty soil-borne diseases, which
can affect humans. On the other hand, cats burying their faeces
in the garden is as much, if not more, of a risk.

Look up Toxocara, Toxoplasmosis etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Mar 2, 2:33*am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
Is there any reason not to put cat manure in a compost pile?

Dick

its great plant food.

NT

Old 02-03-2012, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-03-02, NT wrote:

On Mar 2, 2:33Â*am, (Dick Adams) wrote:

Is there any reason not to put cat manure in a compost pile?

its great plant food.

Just because cats keep feeding it to your plants doesn't mean it's
good plant food.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-03-02, NT wrote:

On Mar 2, 2:33 am, (Dick Adams) wrote:

Is there any reason not to put cat manure in a compost pile?

its great plant food.

Just because cats keep feeding it to your plants doesn't mean it's
good plant food.

It probably *is* good plant food but, further down the chain, it may not
be good for human consumption.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 02-03-2012, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 13:34:27 -0000, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

wrote in :

In article ,
Dick Adams wrote:

Is there any reason not to put cat manure in a compost pile?

Yes. Cats sometimes carry some nasty soil-borne diseases, which
can affect humans. On the other hand, cats burying their faeces
in the garden is as much, if not more, of a risk.

Look up Toxocara, Toxoplasmosis etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

At the risk of starting up this old and tired arguement, us none-cat owners
have to put up with it every time we dig, new shit or old shit it is always
there to pollute our private space.

Not "always". There's none in my garden.

Janet

Since being adopted by a cat, the garden here's been free of the stuff
- with what was 9 cats between 11 houses in the close it was a
problem. This cat's been acclimatised to a litter tray and it's not
unusual for him to come in to use it and then go straight back out
again. But lazy cat owners are a problem. In the three years prior to
moving in, this cat had never been wormed, vaccinated or even
neutered. I don't know how many babies he sired in those three years
but he's now firing blanks! I get annoyed that so many people think a
cat can be left to fend for itself and is more an appendage than a
family member. It's not the cat's fault.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On 2012-03-02, NT wrote:
On Mar 2, 2:33*am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
Is there any reason not to put cat manure in a compost pile?

its great plant food.

Just because cats keep feeding it to your plants doesn't mean it's
good plant food.

Thats not the reason that its good food, obviously
Old 04-03-2012, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
I don't have a cat that uses a litter box, atm, but when I had an ancient
girl who had to, I bagged it up and put it in the bin.

The mind boggles (Poor soul)....:-)

Bill

Old 04-03-2012, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Dick Adams wrote:

Is there any reason not to put cat manure in a compost pile?

Yes. Cats sometimes carry some nasty soil-borne diseases, which
can affect humans. On the other hand, cats burying their faeces
in the garden is as much, if not more, of a risk.

Look up Toxocara, Toxoplasmosis etc.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I wonder if a small sand pit could be provided for a cat's use. They would
surely prefer a soft site than a heavier earthy one.

Bill

Is a animal chaser/cat utrasonic cat deterrent harmful? [email protected] United Kingdom 3 21-04-2015 09:40 AM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Lawns 1 22-02-2003 01:27 AM
Compost Pile / Barrel J Dubb Gardening 2 20-02-2003 04:27 AM