Old 02-03-2012, 02:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This weekend

Wondered if we might start a thread on what's coming up in the way of
gardening events?

e.g. i am carting four people off to the Alpine Gardening Society's big
Early Spring Show in Harlow on Saturday as they apparently have an
excellent plant sale first in the morning (Not just alpine)

Mark Hall School, First Avenue, Harlow, Essex, CM17 9LR. (M11 Jn 7,
head for Harlow; straight on for 3 miles approx; right onto B183 at
roundabout; school is immediately on right.)
according to website.

Well i will be when I've worked out how to recharge the Volvo battery as
some dear little soul came with his mother and unbeknownst to us had
taken my spare car key and put it in the ignition. i have discovered it
four hours later lights and whatnot now all drained............
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 02-03-2012, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
[...]

Our first plant sale of the year is at Tavistock on the 18th, nothing before
then. Just as well as I am still trying to clear the mountain of stone which
was our old kitchen!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 02-03-2012, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 17:00:59 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Thick

fog here. I can see to the end of the Nursery and only a little beyond
that. It ws the same first thing this morning and then we had a really
brilliant day until about 4-ish when the fog rolled in while the
Grandson was 'helping' me clean out the chickens! It's got a lot
colder, too.

Luvly sunny day at the east of Swansea Bay. Currently edging up
towards 17C here.

I could go right off you Jake!
It's turned cold and dank here on the east coast.
I have tomorrow off. I am going on a pre-arranged tour of Cambridge with
the local archeological group.

I also have Monday and Wednesday off. According to the local weather
forecast, it's going to rain all three days :-{

--
Kathy

Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 17:00:59 +0000, Sacha wrote:

Thick

fog here. I can see to the end of the Nursery and only a little beyond
that. It ws the same first thing this morning and then we had a really
brilliant day until about 4-ish when the fog rolled in while the
Grandson was 'helping' me clean out the chickens! It's got a lot
colder, too.

Luvly sunny day at the east of Swansea Bay. Currently edging up
towards 17C here.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

Sunday, temperature a mere 6deg.C in the shade and a bit nippy!

I've planted some spuds in containers - am I too soon? I shelter them if any
signs of frost though.

Bill (half way between Jake and Dave)

Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 11:53:01 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

Sunday, temperature a mere 6deg.C in the shade and a bit nippy!

I've planted some spuds in containers - am I too soon? I shelter them if any
signs of frost though.

Bill (half way between Jake and Dave)

It's a lot colder here today as well and there's a real wind-chill
factor. I think Friday was a bit of an aberration. The temp dropped to
normal yesterday and like around you, it's definitely pullover weather
today even though the sun's out most of the time.

It's not too early to plant spuds and frost won't generally damage
what's underground though it can kill the young shoots. If they're
poking through the top of the compost in your containers, add a bit
more compost to keep them just covered. I guess there will still be a
fair bit of space between the compost level and the top of your
buckets so a bit of added protection would be to drape a couple of
layers of fleece over the top of the containers if frost is expected.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jake. BTW my "buckets" are brand new black plastic dust bins :-)

Bill

Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bill Grey
writes
Sunday, temperature a mere 6deg.C in the shade and a bit nippy!

I've planted some spuds in containers - am I too soon? I shelter them if any
signs of frost though.

Bill (half way between Jake and Dave)

Snowing in Amersham at 14.00
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 04-03-2012, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Bill Grey
writes
Sunday, temperature a mere 6deg.C in the shade and a bit nippy!

I've planted some spuds in containers - am I too soon? I shelter them if
any
signs of frost though.

Bill (half way between Jake and Dave)

Snowing in Amersham at 14.00
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Snow in with the rain here at 1330

Mike

Old 02-03-2012, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/02/2012 03:40 AM, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Wondered if we might start a thread on what's coming up in the way of
gardening events?

Just had 6 m3 of wood chips delivered, my back hurts just looking at it.

Although it's unlikely I'll be able to attend personally, the Maple
Society will have a stand at the Gardener's World show at the National
Exhibition Centre, Birmingham from 13-17 June. I'd certainly like to
encourage anyone in the area to visit and learn more about these
terrific plants, and about the benefits (visits to private gardens, seed
distribution/exchange, colour newsletter etc) of the Society. Our web
site is www.maplesociety.org.

Well i will be when I've worked out how to recharge the Volvo battery as
some dear little soul came with his mother and unbeknownst to us had
taken my spare car key and put it in the ignition. i have discovered it
four hours later lights and whatnot now all drained............

Ouch. Just went through this with our Passat, ended up having to get it
towed and it is still at the garage 3 weeks later; turns out the part
that won't let you start the motor without your foot on the brake has
broken.

I'm looking at purchasing a Volvo, anything good or bad to say about it?

-E
Old 02-03-2012, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

I'm looking at purchasing a Volvo, anything good or bad to say about it?

Spare parts are hideously expensive

Janet.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/02/2012 12:24 PM, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

I'm looking at purchasing a Volvo, anything good or bad to say about it?

Spare parts are hideously expensive

Thanks, that's a good tip.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:

If I could afford it i would get a new car more economical on petrol.
Son says Skodas are really good now with lots of extras etc. and he's
worked for both Volvo and Audi/Skoda/VW

God help me, yes :-( I have a Skoda Fabia, specifically got the
plain (not SE) model, and there are still too many damn electronic
gimmicks with their usual collection of misbehaviours. The locking
is the worst pain, by a long way.

But at least it has less of the misbegotten misdesigns than almost
any other modern car.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren
Old 02-03-2012, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

In article ,
Janet writes
In article ,

says...

I'm looking at purchasing a Volvo, anything good or bad to say about it?

Spare parts are hideously expensive

Janet.

Everything that could go wrong with a car has gone wrong with mine
bought from brand new, hydraulic system bled out, starter motor thing
went wrong after 3 years and had to hit it with small hammer to start it
every time I stopped, air con went wrong, suspension went wrong, washer
on back folded, window on passenger side broke so kept falling down,
have had about 16 new tyres since new (2002 reg,|) at amazing prices,
exhaust redone twice, but on the plus side it is very safe to drive,
very comfortable for passengers etc., plenty of room for tools etc. in
back plus passengers and room for lots of plants.

very thirsty around town poss. 15 mpg and about 30 on motorways.

Ditto to all that despite always servicing at a Volvo dealer service
centre (possibly the worst servicing garage we ever encountered). We had
Volvos for the safety aspect when the children were learning to drive/new
drivers but would never buy one again.

Got V70 estate

If I could afford it i would get a new car more economical on petrol.
Son says Skodas are really good now with lots of extras etc. and he's
worked for both Volvo and Audi/Skoda/VW

On the recommendation of our local garage mechanic we got a Skoda
Roomster and can't recommend it highly enough :-) comfy, loads of flexible
space, cheap to run. Another tip; because of their comfort, reliability
and large load space Roomsters are very popular Motability vehicles; so
are a great secondhand bargain (Motability vehicles are replaced every 2
years, often with very modest usage and low milage).

Janet.