Old 09-03-2012, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Barbed wire fences revisited

I went for a walk yesterday and walked alongside a firly new post and wire
fence with barbed wire. This is a fence erected by the local council who
should know how it should be erected. The main part of the fence was
stockfencing (wire mesh with square holes about 150mm square. This was about
1 m high on posts a which were bout 1,3m high and 80mm diam. There were
two strands of barbed wire about 200mm apart on the "inside" of the fence
above the mesh. On the outside - the public side directly opposite to the
barbed wire -were two strands of either #8 or #10 SWG wire.

The height of the top wire was about 1.20 m.

I hope you can understand this - a diagram would be easier.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Old 09-03-2012, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 9, 11:57*am, "Bill Grey" wrote:
I went for a walk yesterday and walked alongside a firly new post and wire
fence with barbed wire. *This is a fence erected by the local council who
should know how it should be erected. *The main part of the fence was
stockfencing (wire mesh with square holes about 150mm square. This was about
1 m high on posts a which were bout 1,3m high *and 80mm diam. *There were
two strands of barbed wire about 200mm apart on the "inside" of the fence
above the mesh. *On the outside - the public side directly opposite to the
barbed wire *-were two strands of either #8 or #10 SWG wire.

The height of the top wire was about 1.20 m.

I hope you can understand this - a diagram would be easier.

Hope this helps.

Bill

It sounds fine to me, the public don't appear to be at any risk of
brushing against it. If there are cows in the field barbed wire helps
to prevent them from damaging the fence.

Jonathan