Old 28-03-2012, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plans for nice garden

Hi,

I've got a medium sized garden, but most of it is patio. I've got into the
cycle of spending a week in Spring at the DIY sheds and nurseries buying
ready made hanging baskets and plants, keeping them watered and looking nice
all summer and watching them die in the winter, then having to take the
remnants to the tip a year later.

I really want to plan ahead this time, and fill it with living stuff that
looks nice but doesn't need replacing this time next year. It doesn't have
to be a show garden, but I've got lots of borders and plenty of fence/wall
to hang things or climb plants. I tried looking for inspiration online, but
it's all a bit "poncy" for me, all mirrors and rustic furniture and weird
cane contraptions, nothing simple.

All I want is some decent, long lasting shrubs/plants/trees/baskets which
won't die, I'm getting a new (bigger) shed so don't have room for a
greenhouse to store plants over winter. Just simple, dense foliage that
fills the bland spaces between patio and boundary, or sits in pots on the
patio and maybe flowers sometimes too. If they grow fairly quickly so I get
some scenery this summer, that would be a bonus.

Any help or pointers to sites would be much appreciated, thanks.

Old 28-03-2012, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message
[...]

Tell us whereabouts you live, and the orientation of this garden, ie does it
face North, South etc. Also the kind of soil you have, ie sandy or clay, or
something in between. Look at your neighbours gardens, what grows well in
theirs will probably also do well in yours.

Do you want to grow ornamental trees? fruit trees? There are several kinds
that don't take up a lot of room, and provide colour as well as food. How
about roses, or clematis? The possibilities are endless.

When you see someone gardening with something in their garden that you
like, ask them about it. They will almost certainly be glad to chat, and you
may well get some freebies, and almost certainly good advice.

Steve

Old 28-03-2012, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/03/2012 16:18, shazzbat wrote:
wrote in message
Hi,

I've got a medium sized garden, but most of it is patio. I've got into the
cycle of spending a week in Spring at the DIY sheds and nurseries buying
ready made hanging baskets and plants, keeping them watered and looking
nice all summer and watching them die in the winter, then having to take
the remnants to the tip a year later.

Step one is find a dark corner for a compost heap. Never throw out spent
hanging basket soil it will help improve your garden soil.

I really want to plan ahead this time, and fill it with living stuff that
looks nice but doesn't need replacing this time next year. It doesn't have
to be a show garden, but I've got lots of borders and plenty of fence/wall
to hang things or climb plants. I tried looking for inspiration online,
but it's all a bit "poncy" for me, all mirrors and rustic furniture and
weird cane contraptions, nothing simple.

What direction does it all face? Honeysuckle and clematis are pretty and
almost bomb proof and hydrangea petiolaris for north facing walls.

Basically add a few things at a time to get year round interest and for
a quick fill in of some spaces use seeds like calendula, sunflower etc.
Seasonal bulbs etc. Buy plants just after they have finished flowering
and are discounted at the garden centre rather than buying the full
priced stuff they are pushing as plant du jour.

Some online plantsman have rather good offerings and helpful info.

All I want is some decent, long lasting shrubs/plants/trees/baskets which
won't die, I'm getting a new (bigger) shed so don't have room for a
greenhouse to store plants over winter. Just simple, dense foliage that

Some of the things you have thrown out for dead might still have come
back from the roots given a bit more time.

fills the bland spaces between patio and boundary, or sits in pots on the
patio and maybe flowers sometimes too. If they grow fairly quickly so I
get some scenery this summer, that would be a bonus.

You don't want stuff that grows too quickly. Then you have to keep
cutting it back. Blueberries in pots are pretty good value and hardy
though you have to net them to eat the fruit.

Any help or pointers to sites would be much appreciated, thanks.

Tell us whereabouts you live, and the orientation of this garden, ie does it
face North, South etc. Also the kind of soil you have, ie sandy or clay, or
something in between. Look at your neighbours gardens, what grows well in
theirs will probably also do well in yours.

Do you want to grow ornamental trees? fruit trees? There are several kinds
that don't take up a lot of room, and provide colour as well as food. How
about roses, or clematis? The possibilities are endless.

When you see someone gardening with something in their garden that you
like, ask them about it. They will almost certainly be glad to chat, and you
may well get some freebies, and almost certainly good advice.

A rough idea of the size and shape of the garden would be helpful too.
My idea of a medium sized garden is about 1/3 acre.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 28-03-2012, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:34:02 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

wrote in message
Hi,

I've got a medium sized garden,

A rough idea of the size and shape of the garden would be helpful too.
My idea of a medium sized garden is about 1/3 acre.

Don't feel inadequate

The point Martin is making is that "medium sized" means different
things to different people. Others define that as anything up to 2
acres. I've seen electric lawn mowers advertised as fine for a "medium
sized" garden and I doubt that any number of extension cables would
manage a third of an acre!

In an urban environment, "medium sized" means something totally
different from a semi-rural or country one.

A house near me is on the market with a "large garden" that's smaller
than my pond.

At the end of the day, it's a man thing ))))

Cheers, Jake
Urgling happily from the east end of the totally
dry and sunny Swansea Bay.

light garden plans Pamela Claus Orchids 0 25-05-2003 06:32 AM
Garden Gate® Plans pelirojaroja Gardening 0 27-04-2003 11:08 PM
Garden Plans pelirojaroja Gardening 3 03-04-2003 03:44 AM
anyone have layouts of formal garden plans? Kellie J. Berger Roses 3 18-03-2003 04:08 PM
Garden plans and Microsoft Visio Mark Gardening 0 05-02-2003 10:50 PM