Old 02-04-2012, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ferrous sulphate heptahydrate: good for anything other than removing moss?

Hello people.

Can anyone advise me if the following soluble powder can be used for
anything other than removing moss from grass? We have no grass.

It's 95 % w/w ferrous sulphate heptahydrate and 1 % w/w suphuric acid.

Just wondering if there might be anything else in the garden that might
actually like it!

Thanks.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/04/2012 20:16, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 19:52:34 +0100, Eddy
wrote:

Hello people.

Can anyone advise me if the following soluble powder can be used for
anything other than removing moss from grass? We have no grass.

It's 95 % w/w ferrous sulphate heptahydrate and 1 % w/w suphuric acid.

Just wondering if there might be anything else in the garden that might
actually like it!

Thanks.

You can use it on ericaceous plants (rhododendrons, azaleas, camellias
and heathers) if they are growing in alkaline soil and showing signs
of chlorosis (yellowing of the leaves). They grow best in acid soil.
Ferrous sulphate will go a little way to acidifying an alkaline soil,
at least for a few months, and also provide the iron that the plants
are lacking. Personally, I think Sequestrine is more effective.

I have used it to treat a chlorotic camellia growing in wealden clay (ph
~6 - 6.5). It took a couple of years, but the leaves are now completely
green and it has flowered really well.

Make sure you dilute it according to the manufacturer's instructions,
and it is likely to stain clothes and concrete brown, and also turn
your fingers black so wear gloves.

I must say that I didn't bother with accuracy. The soil around the
camellia was covered with a 2 inch layer of pinky-red granite chippings,
and I just shook the container of ferrous sulphate to spread a handful
or so around the plant for about a foot. The rain carried it in over
several months and the rusty colour left on the chippings didn't show
too much.

--

Jeff
Old 02-04-2012, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:

It's 95 % w/w ferrous sulphate heptahydrate and 1 % w/w suphuric acid.

You can use it on ericaceous plants (rhododendrons, azaleas, camellias
and heathers) if they are growing in alkaline soil and showing signs
of chlorosis (yellowing of the leaves). They grow best in acid soil.
Ferrous sulphate will go a little way to acidifying an alkaline soil,
at least for a few months, and also provide the iron that the plants
are lacking. Personally, I think Sequestrine is more effective.

Chris, thanks a lot. That's great news, as we have 15 rhodies growing
in soil that is only partly acidic and they need the extra help each
year.

You did notice the 1 % sulphuric acid, didn't you? Is it that that
amount is so slight it's no danger to plants?

And thanks for the warning re. black fingers! I used a little this
morning on a patch of moss that has developed within an aubretia plant
and I wondered about the slight stain on one of my fingers afterwards!

Eddy.