Old 29-03-2014, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moss and ferrous sulphate

I am having to use this, as the effect of this last winter was
to turn my lawn into moss. My belief is that there is no harm
in composting the dead moss, at least if there has been a fair
amount of rain between treatment and removal, but can anyone
confirm or deny that?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-03-2014, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/03/2014 13:42, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I am having to use this, as the effect of this last winter was
to turn my lawn into moss. My belief is that there is no harm

Same here although I am using commercial weed + feed. I still compost
the grass cuttings since I run the heap so hot that most domestic
weedkillers are not persistent by the time the heap has rotted down.

in composting the dead moss, at least if there has been a fair
amount of rain between treatment and removal, but can anyone
confirm or deny that?

Yes. No problem at all. Lime haters might even benefit from being
mulched with the stuff since it has plenty of free iron. The blackening
of moss is specific to the odd chlorophyll found in lower plants and is
unlikely to cause any bother at all.

However, commercial weed & feed often contains a specific broadleaf
herbicide which would not be good for other plants.

You can make it (FeSO4) go a lot further by cutting it with ammonium
sulphate to boost the grass and sand to dilute it. Classic lawn sand.
Generally a good idea to knock back the moss and feed the lawn together
- the iron sulphate on its own may cause the grass to growth check.

Usual caveat about not getting it on paths or clothes since the iron
stain is very difficult to get off (almost impossible). I know you know
this but others thinking of demossing their lawns might not.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 29-03-2014, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

I am having to use this, as the effect of this last winter was
to turn my lawn into moss. My belief is that there is no harm

Same here although I am using commercial weed + feed. I still compost
the grass cuttings since I run the heap so hot that most domestic
weedkillers are not persistent by the time the heap has rotted down.

I don't, so I am more careful of such things.

in composting the dead moss, at least if there has been a fair
amount of rain between treatment and removal, but can anyone
confirm or deny that?

Yes. No problem at all. Lime haters might even benefit from being
mulched with the stuff since it has plenty of free iron. The blackening
of moss is specific to the odd chlorophyll found in lower plants and is
unlikely to cause any bother at all.

Thanks.

However, commercial weed & feed often contains a specific broadleaf
herbicide which would not be good for other plants.

Yes. I spent 5 minutes checking for the cheapest that didn't have
such nasties.

You can make it (FeSO4) go a lot further by cutting it with ammonium
sulphate to boost the grass and sand to dilute it. Classic lawn sand.
Generally a good idea to knock back the moss and feed the lawn together
- the iron sulphate on its own may cause the grass to growth check.

Not wanting to do the job twice, I added ferrous sulphate in low
moss-killing doses to an NPK fertiliser (Miracle Gro Lawn), and
will see how it goes.

Usual caveat about not getting it on paths or clothes since the iron
stain is very difficult to get off (almost impossible). I know you know
this but others thinking of demossing their lawns might not.

Yes. I got a little of the diluted stuff on the edges, and am
hoping that it won't be too bad. But I was careful to mix on
the lawn, well away from an edge.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.