Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Watercress

Is it possible to grow watercress in the soil, or is running water
required? I'm in London. 6 inches of nice friable soil, then solid clay.
Can I use the watercress that I would buy at the supermarket?
Old 02-04-2012, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"houndsy" wrote in message
o.uk...
Is it possible to grow watercress in the soil, or is running water
required? I'm in London. 6 inches of nice friable soil, then solid clay.
Can I use the watercress that I would buy at the supermarket?

I've grown it in a plastic box.
You need a box with NO drainage holes. I put at least an inch of gravel in
the base, fill three quarters full with compost/soil mix. Plant the
watercress - I use supermarket plants. Keep waterlogged. Works for me.

--
Kathy

Old 03-04-2012, 01:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 2, 9:54*pm, houndsy wrote:
Is it possible to grow watercress in the soil, or is running water
required? I'm in London. 6 inches of nice friable soil, then solid clay.
Can I use the watercress that I would buy at the supermarket?

The plant does not require running water: growing it in pots is not
unknown. It does require water.

The requirement for running water is to prevent the transmission of
liver fluke, whose cysts can be attached to the leaves in still water,
contaminated by animal faeces. There is a lot of conflicting advice
about what is safe. I don't know, so I just buy it commercially.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 3, 1:58*am, bobharvey wrote:
On Apr 2, 9:54*pm, houndsy wrote:

Is it possible to grow watercress in the soil, or is running water
required? I'm in London. 6 inches of nice friable soil, then solid clay..
Can I use the watercress that I would buy at the supermarket?

The plant does not require running water: growing it in pots is not
unknown. *It does require water.

The requirement for running water is to prevent the transmission of
liver fluke, whose cysts can be attached to the leaves in still water,
contaminated by animal faeces. *There is a lot of conflicting advice
about what is safe. *I don't know, so I just buy it commercially.

I have grown watercress in troughs, the sort that the Pound shops
sell, a few drainage holes then stand them inside larger troughs with
a couple of inches of gravel that way you can flod them and then let
the water drain out over a couple of days, that way you wont get the
soil going stagnant.
You can use shop bought water cress as startres, but seed raised
plants will do better.
But why noy try Land cress, less demanding.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay
Old 03-04-2012, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 2a2eea61-e8bb-4b58-8a67-e9afd71c3074
@v22g2000vby.googlegroups.com, says...

But why noy try Land cress, less demanding.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay

never had any sucess with that, not sure why. It just germinates then
gives up here for some reason.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Old 04-04-2012, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/04/2012 21:28, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article2a2eea61-e8bb-4b58-8a67-e9afd71c3074
@v22g2000vby.googlegroups.com, says...

But why noy try Land cress, less demanding.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay

never had any sucess with that, not sure why. It just germinates then
gives up here for some reason.

I have great success with garden cress. I start it off in a seed tray
where it comes up very thickly. Then set it out, tearing it into thin
strips and plant in the garden and water until established. It thrives
and provides tasty leaves all year round. Just pick off a leaf or two
from each plant and they all keep on growing producing new leaves. They
may run to seed with small yellow flowers; I just leave these and let
the plants self set here and there. Interestingly the (leaves?) on the
flower stems are also edible and taste the same but have a slightly
different shape to the main leaves. It is also known as poor man's
pepper. It is excellent chopped and mixed with tuna and mayonnaise and
many other sandwiches. I also chop it and toss some into salads,
curries, bolognaise sauces, soups and pretty much anything else. It does
have a relatively strong taste which I like. Spouse is not so keen on it
raw, finding it too strongly flavoured, but will eat it chopped and
included in cooked dishes.

--
David in Normandy.

by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 16:22:39 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

[...]

Hi David
Can you be more specific in what you mean by "garden cress" please?

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Hi David
Can you be more specific in what you mean by "garden cress" please?

Pam in Bristol- Hide quoted text -

I know you were asking the other David but this is land cress Pam
http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/cre...s-pid2330.html
Also from almost all seed companies.
David
Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/04/2012 23:41, Dave Hill wrote:
Hi David
Can you be more specific in what you mean by "garden cress" please?

Pam in Bristol- Hide quoted text -

I know you were asking the other David but this is land cress Pam
http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/cre...s-pid2330.html
Also from almost all seed companies.
David

Yes, that is the cress I grow very successfully. Here in France it is
called Cresson de Jardin and is available from garden centres.

I don't know if this land / garden cress is the same as the cress sold
in little tubs in UK supermarkets as little seedlings for use in salads?

Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 5, 8:16*am, David in Normandy
wrote:
On 04/04/2012 23:41, Dave Hill wrote:

Hi David
Can you be more specific in what you mean by "garden cress" please?

Pam in Bristol- Hide quoted text -

I know you were asking the other David but this is land cress Pam
http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/cre...s-pid2330.html
Also from almost all seed companies.
David

Yes, that is the cress I grow very successfully. Here in France it is
called Cresson de Jardin and is available from garden centres.

I don't know if this land / garden cress is the same as the cress sold
in little tubs in UK supermarkets as little seedlings for use in salads?

--
David in Normandy. *
* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Land cress (American cress) is Barbarea verna, whilst the cress in
"Mustard and Cress" is Lepidium sativum

Watercress Wally World Clanger United Kingdom 0 20-10-2003 06:02 PM
Watercress Wally World Clanger United Kingdom 1 20-10-2003 11:02 AM
watercress K30a Ponds 2 25-07-2003 11:32 PM
bidet /Watercress David Hill United Kingdom 0 12-06-2003 07:20 AM
Watercress root rotting, freshwater fish tank. DogCow Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:17 AM