Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Trugs - The Strongest Ones?

In message ,
Janet writes

"Baz" wrote in message

Trugs? what are they?

No substitute for a plastic bucket.

Surely that rather depends on what you want to do with it?
--
Chris French

Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , newspost-c-002
@familyfrench.co.uk says...

In message ,
Janet writes

"Baz" wrote in message

Trugs? what are they?

No substitute for a plastic bucket.

Surely that rather depends on what you want to do with it?

Not reeeely, because anything you can use a trug for works as well or
better in a bucket. Carrying tools, veg, flowers.
But try carrying tadpoles in a trug...

Janet
Old 13-04-2012, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Janet writes
In article , newspost-c-002
says...

In message ,
Janet writes

"Baz" wrote in message

Trugs? what are they?

No substitute for a plastic bucket.

Surely that rather depends on what you want to do with it?

Not reeeely, because anything you can use a trug for works as well or
better in a bucket. Carrying tools, veg, flowers.
But try carrying tadpoles in a trug...

Buckets are generally 10, maybe 15L capacity. You can get much bigger
trugs which are useful for carrying bulkier things, for weeding when it
won't fill up so quickly. For mixing stuff up etc.

We've got buckets and trugs, wheelbarrow and a couple of old builders
dumpy bags. All ahve their uses.
--
Chris French

Old 14-04-2012, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"kay" wrote in message

Racquel Darrian;955351 Wrote:
Hi All,
My handles of all my trugs eventually snap no matter how expensive they
are.
Can you recommend some that you have used that are really strong?

TIA

What do you mean by "trug"? Do you mean a flattish basket about 40cm
long and about 20cm deep with a handle over the top, which is the
original meaning of "trug". Or do you mean a deep softish plastic tub,
usually in a bright colour, with a little handle at each side, which are
now being called "trugs"?

If the latter, yes, it happens to me too. I just buy the cheapest I can
find, and regard them as expendable.

It helps if you always pick them up by both handles simultaneously
rather than yank them up by one.

Are we talking muck buckets here?
If so, calling them trugs seems an upwardly mobile marketing strategy
which may sadly work.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

For what it's worth, those little mechanically propelled trolleys used by
hospital porters are also called trugs!

Some more research indicates that Wyvale sell "trugs" - plastic bucket type
things with two handles now being called "Flexitubs" - much more
appropriate.

Bill

Old 15-04-2012, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet writes
Not reeeely, because anything you can use a trug for works as well or
better in a bucket. Carrying tools, veg, flowers.
But try carrying tadpoles in a trug...

Janet

But to be fair Janet if you are picking flowers or some veg, it's best
to be able to lay them across the proper trug than to stick it all in a
deep but not so wide bucket.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 16-04-2012, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bill Grey
writes

"kay" wrote in message

[...]

Flexitubs is just another brandname.

I always assumed that this usage of the word trug, came from the
original (??) brand Tub-trugs?

FWIW, you can get 'professionsl' Tub-trugs which should be stronger
(don't know how easy to source though.

There are also Gorrila Tubs, which are the builders version of
Tub-trugs.

http://www.gorillatubs.com/
--
Chris French

Garden Trugs loldeantimber Marketplace 1 05-02-2014 04:55 PM
Apple trees - a few big ones or a lot of little ones? Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 5 04-04-2009 07:41 PM
Help me choose good ones for this area? Jane Roses 7 15-04-2003 04:44 AM
Project is done! Pics inside.-----Duh, wrong links. Correct ones here. Emil Roses 6 31-03-2003 07:56 PM
I have small ones :-( Dwayne United Kingdom 2 29-09-2002 10:08 PM