Old 09-04-2012, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Feeding seedlings

I have a variety of small plants/seedlings all grown from seed in my
greenhouse.

I am aware that the advice for tomatoes is do not feed until first truss
appears - but what about other small seedlings?

Cucumbers/courgette/green beans/flowers - various.

I am tempted to give them a shot of Baby Bio !!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 9, 12:28*pm, Judith wrote:
I have a variety of small plants/seedlings all grown from seed in my
greenhouse.

I am aware that the advice for tomatoes is do not feed until first truss
appears - but what about other small seedlings?

Cucumbers/courgette/green beans/flowers *- various.

I am tempted to give them a shot of Baby Bio !!

The advice is based on the idea that there is sufficient nutrients in
the compost to keep the plants going for a while. Too much nutrient
can be as bad as too little, worse in some cases.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 9, 12:28*pm, Judith wrote:
I have a variety of small plants/seedlings all grown from seed in my
greenhouse.

I am aware that the advice for tomatoes is do not feed until first truss
appears - but what about other small seedlings?

Cucumbers/courgette/green beans/flowers *- various.

I am tempted to give them a shot of Baby Bio !!

I am supprised that no one has answered your question.
If your young plants are in regular bought in compost then you can
give a dilute feed after about 6 weeks, I would be inclined to just
give a foliar feed.
For plants going into open grounds or containers then I like to plant
out plants that are hungry as I find they get away quicker, if there
is tro much feed in the compost planted withj them then they are less
inclined to send out roots looking for food.
In my youth we used to grow lettuce in soil blocks for planting out in
April, when
levington blocking compost came along we tried it out doing arounf
1000 lettuce in it.
They were well ahead when it camt to planting time, but after planting
they stood still for several weeks whilst they used up the feed in
their blocks, they ended up ready for cutting around 2 to 3 weeks
later than the ones raised in soil blocks.
I am sure that there will be those that won't agree.
David@ the wet end of Swansea Bay

Tomato feeding Annabel United Kingdom 1 15-07-2003 03:07 PM
When to start feeding? Bob Ponds 18 18-03-2003 05:20 PM
Feeding fish in planted tank Artur Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 11-03-2003 06:45 PM
staghorn ferns, feeding? mcameron, bill Gardening 4 06-03-2003 05:15 PM
Feeding Frogs Rupert Ponds 1 30-01-2003 05:20 AM