Old 11-04-2012, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New allotment part 2

We got some spinach, carrots and rocket in yesterday. I went with my sister
in law yesterday, she has never gardened for veggies before, and I think she
wanted me to do it.
However, I raked the ground and told her how to sow. Even with a line she
made some wavy drills, and I said she could leave them like that if that's
how she wanted the plants to come up, so she started again. Being blonde
doesn't work with me ;-)
I phoned the beekeeper. He wants a plot along with his bees (which he says
is too late now, I don't think so, he could get a May or June swarm easily)
The thing is that I do not know him. I have offered him room for three
hives, the room he doesn't have atm.
It's up to him. I don't want to offer him a plot yet.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

We got some spinach, carrots and rocket in yesterday. I went with my
sister in law yesterday, she has never gardened for veggies before,
and I think she wanted me to do it.
However, I raked the ground and told her how to sow. Even with a line
she made some wavy drills, and I said she could leave them like that
if that's how she wanted the plants to come up, so she started again.
Being blonde doesn't work with me ;-)
I phoned the beekeeper. He wants a plot along with his bees (which he
says is too late now, I don't think so, he could get a May or June
swarm easily) The thing is that I do not know him. I have offered him
room for three hives, the room he doesn't have atm.
It's up to him. I don't want to offer him a plot yet.

You are lucky to have had conditions to sow!
Non-stop wetness here. The carrots I sowed during our dryer period have a
very bad germination, so I am going to either fill in the very large gaps
with new seed or rake it all over, when it's drier, and start all over
again.
Does it matter if the drills are wavy? Not to me, mine are like that, not
too much though.
My spinach is still in plug, I never put brassiccas straight into a bed
outside, and of course, as I said it is too wet in the garden to plant out.
Sounds like the beekeeper might be just trying to get a plot, but who
knows, he might be genuine. Or not. Trust is earned over time, and did he
fall at the first fence? I think so, but I know nothing of keeping bees.

All the best and coninued good luck.
Baz
Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

[...]

Well, it doesn't matter much, but she expressed a wish to learn.

My spinach is still in plug, I never put brassiccas straight into a bed
outside, and of course, as I said it is too wet in the garden to plant
out.

We have had quite a lot of rain, but the plot is so open that it seemed to
dry out quickly. Whether I have made a mistake by planting the spinach
straight into the seedbed, I will have to see.

Sounds like the beekeeper might be just trying to get a plot, but who
knows, he might be genuine. Or not. Trust is earned over time, and did he
fall at the first fence? I think so, but I know nothing of keeping bees.

I only know about bees from my German friend, she's a beekeeper and I spent
a few happy hours jarring honey when I was there.
I have offered him space to keep 3 hives without a plot for now, it's up to
him to take that up or not. Like I say, I don't know him yet so this would
be a sort of "let's get to know each other" time and if he doesn't want to
do that, that having the bees is conditional on him having a plot too, he
can think again. There are no allotments available in my locality and he
has a very small garden with nowhere to keep bees.

All the best and coninued good luck.
Baz

Thanks.