Old 18-04-2012, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Local flooding

My whole garden is under water now. That surprises me because the garden is
light soil and quite deep too, 1.5m I dug earlier years to take out tree
stumps.

More heavy rain over the 5 day period is forecast!

Looks like the potatoes, peas and broad beans are nakt now, not mentioning
resowing/planting when its dry enough to do so. Very. very depressing.

What is more depressing is that if it continues to p**s down the house's
ground floor will most likely be under water. My grandkids who live nearby
think it is great. The magic of youth!

Baz
Old 18-04-2012, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:16:47 GMT, Baz wrote:

My whole garden is under water now. That surprises me because the garden is
light soil and quite deep too, 1.5m I dug earlier years to take out tree
stumps.

More heavy rain over the 5 day period is forecast!

Looks like the potatoes, peas and broad beans are nakt now, not mentioning
resowing/planting when its dry enough to do so. Very. very depressing.

What is more depressing is that if it continues to p**s down the house's
ground floor will most likely be under water. My grandkids who live nearby
think it is great. The magic of youth!

Baz

Is it really that bad? I hope not. ISTR you laid a lot of cardboard
down and covered it. Has it rotted or is it still there acting as a
barrier to drainage? There's cardboard and cardboard of course. Thin
stuff would disappear quickly but if you spread the thick stuff that
is supposed to (but doesn't) protect something the size of a patio
table from the ravages of transit it may be there still and the roots
of your plants may be protected a bit if you planted through it.

The year before she died, my mum's veg patch was flooded around this
time of year and again at the end of May, thanks to a blocked drain up
the hill and round the bend sort of thing, but she had a bumper crop
of everything. When I sold the house a year later, the estate agent
made much of the established raspberries, rhubarb and other stuff
waiting to be harvested so the flood didn't do that much damage.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 18-04-2012, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

[...]

Jake, it is not just my garden. When I say local I mean post code local.
All the area is at least soggy, and some areas are under water. The roads
are full of water, not yet flooded, but by tomorrow might be if it keeps on
raining.

My respect to your mother.

Cheers
Baz

How Does Epinasty (the Epinastic Effect) Help a Plant During Flooding? socrtwo Plant Science 0 29-06-2005 03:49 AM
Flooding NewsGroups. small fish Ponds 1 16-03-2005 07:34 PM
Periodical salt-water flooding Mike Lyle United Kingdom 5 20-11-2004 08:52 PM
[IBC] Watering, or flooding... (somewhat OT) Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 4 18-02-2004 10:22 PM
flooding mhill North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:33 PM