Old 18-02-2004, 01:08 AM
Nicolas Steenhout

Default [IBC] Watering, or flooding... (somewhat OT)

Well, a couple months ago I was inquiring about watering trees in times of
drought, etc... As it turns out, it's been raining regularly and we never
went into water restrictions.

Now, however, we're facing the opposite. Floodings, and destruction like
there's no tomorrow. At last count 19 bridges in the area went down. Over
2500 people evacuated. 3 deaths (the count may go up). Farmers lost entire
crops, some are talking 5 years to get back up and running, some are saying
they can't come back from it. The flood levels are higher than ever in
recorded history in this area (going back way more than 100 years). Been
declared a state of regional civil emergency.

We were booked for a tour of the homestead and gardens of the area this
Sunday. Can't in good conscience go touring when so many people have lost
everything. Besides, dunno that I'd want to be on roads that haven't been
checked by engineers after being flooded, ramed into by various items
(including 20' containers off a truck), and and and. The tour organiser had
no clue, was going ahead with the tour till we pointed out that half his
tour was happening in an area presently covered with nearly 6 foot of water.
Gardens? Ha!

And there's more rain on the way.

In all this, my few trees are well (sic!) watered and sun deprived, but it
seems such a small silly concern compared to what others are going through
sigh

Photos at:
http://www.ourregion.co.nz/theregion...lery&gallery=6
News at:
http://stuff.co.nz

FWIW, here is Lower North Island of New Zealand.

Nic

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-02-2004, 09:32 AM
kevin bailey

Hope you are riding it out OK Nic. My sympathy is based on recent
experience. We had 6" of rainfall in one day, close to me in Snowdonia.

We were due to go collecting in the area before our permit runs out. The
news footage on TV showed similar scenes to those on the site you
linked. A week later we tried a trip out and met up in a car park where
the hedges had flood debris 7 feet up.

Thankfully we are back to clear skies and freezing nights, hope your
weather is improving too.

Is NZ's climate moderated by oceanic current like the UK's?

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

Old 18-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Jerry Meislik

Nic,
Sounds terrible. We hope that things get settled down quickly and that help
is well on the way.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5