Old 05-05-2012, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cuckoos

The BBC is reporting that 5 male cuckoos were fitted with tracking
devices to check on their migrations. 2 made it back, the other 3
died on their return.
I've never seen one, and not heard one for some years.

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-05-2012, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 05 May 2012 14:06:07 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

The BBC is reporting that 5 male cuckoos were fitted with tracking
devices to check on their migrations. 2 made it back, the other 3
died on their return.
I've never seen one, and not heard one for some years.

Pam in Bristol

I should have said that the 3 died during their retturn journey. They
fly to the forests of Congo, which means crossing the Sahara, twice!
Amazing that any make it, but forests are being depleted which is
making life difficult for the birds.

Pam in Bristol
Old 05-05-2012, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
The BBC is reporting that 5 male cuckoos were fitted with tracking
devices to check on their migrations. *2 made it back, the other 3
died on their return.
I've never seen one, and not heard one for some years.

Pam in Bristol

I should have said that the 3 died during their retturn journey. They
fly to the forests of Congo, which means crossing the Sahara, twice!
Amazing that any make it, but forests are being depleted which is
making life difficult for the birds.

Pam in Bristol

And the eyeties.dagos and maltese shoot anything that moves. They
even shoot butterflies now. That is a major problem. Scummy
foreigners

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news...rotest.html#cr
http://imagesfromtheedge.com/blog/?page_id=4119
Old 05-05-2012, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

The BBC is reporting that 5 male cuckoos were fitted with tracking
devices to check on their migrations. 2 made it back, the other 3
died on their return.
I've never seen one, and not heard one for some years.

Pam in Bristol

I should have said that the 3 died during their retturn journey. They
fly to the forests of Congo, which means crossing the Sahara, twice!
Amazing that any make it, but forests are being depleted which is
making life difficult for the birds.

They don't have any problem making it back to Normandy. Maybe they've
emigrated to France. Always a pleasure to hear them calling back and
forth in the evening.

Of course just because I hear them doesn't mean the numbers aren't being
depleted...
Old 05-05-2012, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 5 May 2012 Pam Moore wrote:

The BBC is reporting that 5 male cuckoos were fitted with tracking
devices to check on their migrations. 2 made it back, the other 3
died on their return.
I've never seen one, and not heard one for some years.

I heard one in Normandy about three weeks ago. They are always there
every summer.

David

http://rance.org.uk