Old 08-05-2012, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New allotment

Most of the seeds sulked and came up very slowly due to cold temperature and
too much rain. I m sharing this ground with my brother, and he is a very
anxious father. He got some fleece and covered pretty well everything a few
days ago for fear of frost.
He hasn't grown veggies before.

I think the beetroot, spinach, spring onions, potatoes, rocket, carrots and
stuff will be fine without a fleece, but it shows his determination to make
it work.

Remind you: My land - his work, we both buy seeds and share the harvest
this year.
Tina

Old 09-05-2012, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Most of the seeds sulked and came up very slowly due to cold
temperature and too much rain. I m sharing this ground with my
brother, and he is a very anxious father. He got some fleece and
covered pretty well everything a few days ago for fear of frost.
He hasn't grown veggies before.

I think the beetroot, spinach, spring onions, potatoes, rocket,
carrots and stuff will be fine without a fleece, but it shows his
determination to make it work.

Remind you: My land - his work, we both buy seeds and share the
harvest this year.
Tina

Nice to hear that things are going to plan. Most peoples plans have gone
out of the window this year I think. Rain and the cold spring have put
dampers on for now. The weather forecast over the next 5 days is not
encouraging either.

I think using fleece is a great idea if it is used at night, but does it
need to be taken off of them during daylight hours? to let the sun in?
Especially this crappy lot of spring we have when sunlight is scarce. Not a
criticism, just that I don't know.

Best wishes to you and family (I take it that the beekeeper has a monk on)
Baz
Old 09-05-2012, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote ...

Most of the seeds sulked and came up very slowly due to cold temperature
and too much rain. I m sharing this ground with my brother, and he is a
very anxious father. He got some fleece and covered pretty well everything
a few days ago for fear of frost.
He hasn't grown veggies before.

I think the beetroot, spinach, spring onions, potatoes, rocket, carrots and
stuff will be fine without a fleece, but it shows his determination to make
it work.

Remind you: My land - his work, we both buy seeds and share the harvest
this year.

I think your brother is being a bit overcautious, fleece just needs to be
used to keep the frost off plants that cant take it like potatoes. Spring
onions will tell you if you have White Rot in the soil, they are extremely
prone to it. Rocket we have never been able to grow successfully, it
germinates and then the slugs destroy it completely. The fleece may keep the
Carrot Fly off your crop so that is a positive.
May I suggest some Peas too.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote ...

Most of the seeds sulked and came up very slowly due to cold temperature
and too much rain. I m sharing this ground with my brother, and he is a
very anxious father. He got some fleece and covered pretty well
everything a few days ago for fear of frost.
He hasn't grown veggies before.

I think the beetroot, spinach, spring onions, potatoes, rocket, carrots
and stuff will be fine without a fleece, but it shows his determination to
make it work.

Remind you: My land - his work, we both buy seeds and share the harvest
this year.

I think your brother is being a bit overcautious, fleece just needs to be
used to keep the frost off plants that cant take it like potatoes.

Yes, I know - but I am not going to discourage him. We both have to travel
more than a mile to the paddock so to me, it shows his commitment.
Spring onions will tell you if you have White Rot in the soil, they are
extremely prone to it.

It's unlikely that there will be anything dire in the soil. It was a grass
paddock for my goats, and no veggies have been grown there sincve I bought
it, more tham 20 years ago.

Rocket we have never been able to grow successfully, it
germinates and then the slugs destroy it completely.

Rocket is doing OK probably because when we got the digger in there is no
vegetation nearby to shelter slugs and snails.

The fleece may keep the
Carrot Fly off your crop so that is a positive.
May I suggest some Peas too.

I have peas! I made newspaper pots for them and grew them at home, they
have leaves now, and already shooting roots out from the pots - so they will
need planting out soon.

Next is the beans. My grandfather always told me not to plant them before
the 8th of May. He was a superb gardener. It's still cold and rainy here
so I will wait until next week to see how the weather is, I also have french
beans to plant.
Tina

Old 09-05-2012, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

[...]

Ah, the beekeeper. He wants a big plot from me as well as putting his
hives on my land. I said he could put his hives there, but not have a plot
(I do not know this man yet) and I think that is reasonable.
Maybe if he had his hives on there for a year or two,and we got on well
(this is really important) I would let him have a small plot.
I know he has nowhere to keep bees atm. He wants a place to have them.. I
have offered him a place for the bees he dearly wants to keep only a few
yards from his house, but no, his condition is he wants a plot as well.
Bad luck he's having, innit?
Tina