Old 18-05-2012, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wisteria woes

Although I'm in Cornwall, I'm 5 miles inland, 500' East facing elevation -
we get the same winters as Dartmoor. Last year I lost a couple of 2 year old
cherry trees and I think our 7 year old Wisteria may have perished.
It started to produce buds during the warm March, but now the frost has
blackened them and these buds about 4mm long and are seriously dead.
Q1 Will they form new buds this year, or can I assume the Wisteria is dead?
If yes, it's a great pity, as it produced a fine display from year 3
onwards:-

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...isteria012.jpg

Old 18-05-2012, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Bertie Doe wrote:

Although I'm in Cornwall, I'm 5 miles inland, 500' East facing elevation -
we get the same winters as Dartmoor. Last year I lost a couple of 2 year old
cherry trees and I think our 7 year old Wisteria may have perished.
It started to produce buds during the warm March, but now the frost has
blackened them and these buds about 4mm long and are seriously dead.
Q1 Will they form new buds this year, or can I assume the Wisteria is dead?
If yes, it's a great pity, as it produced a fine display from year 3
onwards:-

It is unlikely to be dead, and will almost certainly sprout later.
You won't get many flowers this year, if any. Definitely leave it
alone until August, and you might even leave it alone until next
year - some such plants can skip a year and still regrow, but I
don't know if it is one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-05-2012, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/05/2012 19:02, Bertie Doe wrote:
Although I'm in Cornwall, I'm 5 miles inland, 500' East facing elevation -
we get the same winters as Dartmoor. Last year I lost a couple of 2 year old
cherry trees and I think our 7 year old Wisteria may have perished.
It started to produce buds during the warm March, but now the frost has
blackened them and these buds about 4mm long and are seriously dead.
Q1 Will they form new buds this year, or can I assume the Wisteria is dead?
If yes, it's a great pity, as it produced a fine display from year 3
onwards:-

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...isteria012.jpg

Are all the buds black (flower and leaves)? Frost won't damage wisteria
buds - they are very hardy. But if yours is grafted (as many are), it
is possible that water got into the graft, froze, expanded, and split
away the scion from the stock. Graft failure in wisteria is not uncommon.

If it has happened, it is very likely the scion has died. But it's
always worth waiting a year or two to see what happens. If you get a
strong regrowth from underground, it will be the stock plant. It will
flower eventually, but you will have to decide if the stock flowers are
worth the wait!

--

Jeff
Old 19-05-2012, 01:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick and Jeff, many thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed that this one is a
survivor.

Old 19-05-2012, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Are all the buds black (flower and leaves)? Frost won't damage wisteria
buds - they are very hardy. But if yours is grafted (as many are), it
is possible that water got into the graft, froze, expanded, and split
away the scion from the stock. Graft failure in wisteria is not uncommon.

It can, especially when they have started to open and the frost is
reasonably hard. I have lost most of a year's flowers that way.
They didn't go black, merely shrivelled and eventually dropped off.
But that was all. It sulked for a bit, and then grew normally.
My understanding is that most established wisteria came through
1962-3 with a loss of a year's flowers and some setback - but, in
that year, there wasn't a frost AFTER they had started growing.

You have a good point about grafts - I loathe the things, and the
few grafted plants I have cause an excessive amount of trouble.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Mai, 20:20, wrote:
In article ,

Bertie Doe wrote:

[...]

My wisteria which I grew from seed 11 years ago, took 8 years to get
its first flowers, and was wonderful last year:

http://roundtablespage.tvheaven.com/photo3_5.html

died this winter when in Lucerne,Switzerland we had a record
16 days in a row of sub-zero (Centigrade - sub-freezing point)
temperatures day and night.
Two bonsai plants also died, and my three clematis died. One third
of all plants (mainly in pots) died in the Swiss garden centers as
well, they said on TV.

It was very sad.

Melanie

Webb Starting woes Bevilready Lawns 3 01-04-2009 09:40 AM
Wisteria woes... David United Kingdom 1 22-09-2003 03:03 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM
Algae woes Stuart Mueller Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 09-02-2003 01:53 PM