Old 28-05-2012, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 40 Years on with Ventnor Botanic Gardens

http://ventnorblog.com/2012/05/28/40...n/#more-104665

Old 28-05-2012, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 28, 4:44*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
http://ventnorblog.com/2012/05/28/40...he-opening-of-...

What were the "friends" of the Botanical garden doing when it was all
but given away to a private company.
I say, 'all but given away' because the council also agreed to pay the
company hundreds of thousands (!) of pounds this/ next year to support
the donation of the actual gardens.....
So now we have £10 to walk round the Gardens which, hitherto, have
been free - not surprising as they were created and owned by public
monies in the first place.
Actually, let's NOT celebrate 40 years..... Let's hold a wake and
then bow our heads in disgust and shame at this (unnecessary)
wholesale disposal of OUR public assets...
I notice the council have enough money to plant out vast swathes of
perenials, on roundabouts and elsewhere, across the Island at the same
moment they sell off public gardens, spaces, tourist offices, toilets
and more...... They have found £3m to enable super duper fast
broadband to rural areas ( after concerted Chamber activism), an
absolute waste of money yet have to give our public gardens away
because they are out of money!

No, the 40 years are not to be celebrated, sadly...

Wighty wight

Old 29-05-2012, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
http://ventnorblog.com/2012/05/28/40...n/#more-104665

Apart from Ventnor, what other gardens are worth visiting on the island?
We're going over there shortly, so any suggestions appreciated.

Steve

Old 29-05-2012, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
http://ventnorblog.com/2012/05/28/40...n/#more-104665

Apart from Ventnor, what other gardens are worth visiting on the island?
We're going over there shortly, so any suggestions appreciated.

Steve

This might be a starter for you.

http://www.ngs.org.uk/gardens-to-vis...t-gardens.aspx

Old 29-05-2012, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
http://ventnorblog.com/2012/05/28/40...n/#more-104665

Apart from Ventnor, what other gardens are worth visiting on the island?
We're going over there shortly, so any suggestions appreciated.

Steve

and another

http://www.gardenvisit.com/gardens/i.../isle_of_wight

I see Mottistone Manor is on this list. I understand they are good. Depends
when you are coming, but I might be there on one of two stands.

I was with my daughter and son in law in their garden yesterday and they are
thinking of opening their gardens, but nothing definite yet

Mike